GM 3.8 gasket issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been doing some research on the Park Avenues, if you have seen my other posts you know we are looking at one. I know the 3.8's have gasket issues, just needing to know if the 1991 had the issues that some of them did. Did they all have the cheap gaskets until 2004+ or did the gaskets start out with the good metal ones in the early years then GM cheapened out? I am just needing someone to CONFIRM if the 1991's have the plastic gaskets or the metal ones, this will affect our decision. Thanks guys! Hope someone can answer this.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The answer is in your other thread. First page. Try there.

Im not on here to waist time, I just checked and all I saw was "IIRC" no confirmation. Does anybody know for sure?

91 to 94 will be the L27 (Series I) 3.8. 91 to about 93 will have the aluminum intake manifold which did not have UIM/LIM gasket issues.

Poster in previous thread was mixing up some L36 (Series II) 3.8 information (which would be correct in their '96 LeSabre) where a composite IM, poor UIM/LIM gaskets, Dexcool never being changed, and EGR chimney designs resulted in coolant loss/hyrdolock (extreme neglect) conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Clevy
The answer is in your other thread. First page. Try there.

Im not on here to waist time, I just checked and all I saw was "IIRC" no confirmation. Does anybody know for sure?

Apparently you're just on here to "waist" everyone else's time. Why not just reply to the thread you already started? Or you can just tell us what answer you want and we'll give it to you.

How about this? It's a piece of junk GM, only buy a Honda with a Fram filter on the engine.

Check out this link and note the years:

http://repairpal.com/intake-manifold-gaskets-can-develop-engine-oil-leaks-035

For what it's worth, this was not a waste of my time
wink.gif

The 91 3.8 does not suffer from the lower/upper intake/gasket failure. The series 2 have that problem and where not used by GM until 95 (in some cases) but far more commonly starting 96.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back