ACDelco / Fram Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACDelco vs Fram

2011 GMC 5.3L Sierra with ~51,000 miles.

Mileage had passed such that another air filter replacement was scheduled per factory recommended interval.
Presented is a visual comparison of its original equipment ACDelco #A3086C, conventional Fram #CA8755A and Fram “Tough Guard” #TGA8755A.

No conclusions or recommendations contained herein…just fiddling around in the garage.
Tough Guard claims “Pre-oiled media formulated for attracting and capturing smaller dirt and dust particles.”
Media appears and smells remarkably similar to Mann+Hummel filters I’ve fitted in our German cars.
smile.gif

FramBox.jpg

Country of Origin:

ACA3086Ccoa.jpg

CA8755Acoa.jpg

TGA8755Acoa.jpg

OE ACDelco with ~20,000 miles:

OEAC20k.jpg

Fram #CA8755A with ~31,000 miles:

DirtyFram.jpg

Comparisons:

FramVsAC.jpg

FramvsFram.jpg

Cleaned the (OE screenless!) MAF Sensor with CRC cleaner for good measure:

CleanMAF.jpg

addendum:
Original fitment airbox has been proven by a variety of sources to flow ample volume for stock and mildly modified applications.
Installed an Airiad tube between the OE airbox and throttle body concurrently with fitting first Fram.
Sounds like a proper V8 should:

GMCAiraid.jpg

dyno tested:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/145676-bbp-independent-intake-test-results/

I have the same Airraid tube on my Silverado as well. Looks good.
Do the filters say what is their efficiency or anything? I've always wondered how to truly compare air filters.

What is the GM recommended air filter replacement interval on the later model trucks? The manual on my 02 goes by checking the restriction gauge on the airbox and replace when gauge is in red zone. Interesting why GM removed it on the later models.

I have 2 years/26,000mi on my A1618C "Duramax" air filter and the restriction is at 50%.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Wasn't that air gauge only on Z71 models?

The restriction gauge was part of the high capacity air cleaner package (RPO code K47).

I really like the quality of the filter minder but I believe the range is too large for most gas engines. The K&N filter minder is much more appropriate at 15 inches of restriction maximum.

Yes, the Filter Minder does go up to 25" of H2o but I just change the air filter when it gets to 15" of restriction on my gas powered cars.
Now on a diesel its ok to take it up to 25" but that's to high for a gas engine.

Both of those air filters look like they could have gone a lot more miles but without a restriction gauge I would be just guessing. That's what I like about a restriction gauge, takes the guessing out of that question.

ROD

I don't have restriction gauge on my S2000, the original filter is 11 years old but only 51k miles. The filter media looks very clean and good condition, nothing on the media shows any sign of weakness or about to tear.

Mileage is not too high but more than 10 years old is a little worrisome.

I agree, 11 years is a little long for a filter. But the way our S2000 filters are attached to the intake tube, I don't think they would leak like a round filter that has to seal on the top and bottom could.

One more thing, fine dust will plug up a filter and over time(11 years) I'll bet you have a lot of that fine dust on your filter.

Here are some pic's of where I mounted my restriction gauge on a '06 S2000. I think it looks like its from the factory.
http://s188.photobucket.com/user/rodrounds/library/Honda Intake?sort=2&page=1

Last edited:
Yours is 2006 and mine is 2004, there is a hose on my intake tube where you mount restriction gauge, that small hose goes from there to somewhere into engine.

I thought about installing restriction gauge but don't see a good location for it.

I have replacement air filter on hand for few years now, but I didn't change the original filter because it is still in good condition.

I have a Fram 8755 like your's on my 6.0. It was between that one and the yellow oiled media at WM, since I had a gift card, i got the regular one. It did have a fairly dirty K&N that came out for the Fram. I did run my hand through the clean side of the intake and the fingers came out clean, however, the MAF screen was dirty and had a small bug stuck to it.

Btw, the same part number orange fram you got that I have too is Made in the US, fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back