12 Challenger 392, M1 0w40, ~6k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The copper in Hemis (as in GM LSx engines) is pretty typical. They all do it, and it always trends down. Copper tends to leach into oil even from non-wearing surfaces in the oil flow path.

Everyone gets worried about copper because its the middle metal in tri-metal engine bearings. But as others have noted, before you even GET to the copper in tri-metal bearings, you have to have worn through all the babbitt (lead/zinc) overlay, and there's no lead at all showing. High copper with low lead is just never going to be a sign of a bearing issue.

And furthermore- I'm not even sure many modern engines even uses tri-metal bearings. Aluminum bearings were the norm in the 90s, and may still be.

I suspect you are correct about bearing materials in OEM.

Excellent results as always, these Hemis run nearly forever and do well on almost any oil. One heck of a sweet engine for sure.

And hey CT8, there's THREE displacements in new Gen Hemis!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Probably not much owner-generated wear info on that third displacement, yet. But I have started seeing Hellcats out on the road!

They came darn close to being able to call the 6.2 Hellcat a "383" if they had wanted to, although there was never a 383 Hemi back in the day.

Probably not much owner-generated wear info on that third displacement, yet. But I have started seeing Hellcats out on the road!

They came darn close to being able to call the 6.2 Hellcat a "383" if they had wanted to, although there was never a 383 Hemi back in the day.

My 68 Charger was a 383. Loved that car.

And if you include my engine there are FOUR new gen hemis...

My 68 Charger was a 383. Loved that car.

And if you include my engine there are FOUR new gen hemis...

Its a shame they dropped the 6.1. It had some features that were better than the Eagle/Apache engines. Its especially odd that they offered a 392 crate version of the 6.1 before they started using the Apache 392 in production cars. Better not start counting crate engines, or it'll get really confusing ;-)

Last edited:
OP,
SRT recommends an oil with a high moly count. It is beneficial for the VVT function. Yours seems to be on the low side. The SRT branded oil has nearly double what your using IIRC.

Nice report, wear metals trending down, insols low, flash high, TBN strong, sheared to a solid 30 weight. What viscosity does the manual call for in this engine?

The copper in Hemis (as in GM LSx engines) is pretty typical. They all do it, and it always trends down. Copper tends to leach into oil even from non-wearing surfaces in the oil flow path.

Everyone gets worried about copper because its the middle metal in tri-metal engine bearings. But as others have noted, before you even GET to the copper in tri-metal bearings, you have to have worn through all the babbitt (lead/zinc) overlay, and there's no lead at all showing. High copper with low lead is just never going to be a sign of a bearing issue.

And furthermore- I'm not even sure many modern engines even uses tri-metal bearings. Aluminum bearings were the norm in the 90s, and may still be.

Aluminum-lined bearings are still the norm in GM's small blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back