0w-20 in a newer engine that specs 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
If I was going to chance 0w20 in a 5w30 application it wouldn't be TGMO.....maybe M 1 AFE...

+1....Defiantly agree....M-1 0w20 AFE is a top-tier oil. Go for it!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: wemay
Just used what's spec'd for the vehicle.

Good idea...we can now shut down this web site and all preach from the owners manual.

As long as the Rogue is still under warranty, then yes, OP should be following the owners manual.

This sounds like a really, really bad idea to me. How hard is it really to buy a different jug of oil?

Would be better to put them all on 5w30 instead of 0w20 if you must consolidate.

Is there really any harm in running a 0W20 or 5W20 in an engine spec'd for 5W30? I mean, really, what's going to happen?

My engine calls for 5W30, but what would happen if I ran 0W20 or 5W20? I predict absolutely nothing bad would happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I mean, really, what's going to happen?

At some point in time, metal to metal contact.

Running a top tier synthetic oil will protect the engine just fine.

Increased timing chain wear might occur when using a lighter oil than the manufacturer recommends.

I answered your question; but ultimately, it's your vehicle, your dollar.

Given that hydrodynamic lubrication is a function of surface speed and viscosity, how can a "top tier synthetic" provide any better protection than a lowly dino of the same viscosity ?

Therefore, the MOFT decreses with the 20, and boundary lubrication becomes more frequent...again, how does a "top tier synthetic" provide better protection, when at that point, it's additive function not hydrodynamics.

Just interested in the theory behind it.

Or is your everything OK scenario just a failure to blow up ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Given that hydrodynamic lubrication is a function of surface speed and viscosity, how can a "top tier synthetic" provide any better protection than a lowly dino of the same viscosity ?

Therefore, the MOFT decreses with the 20, and boundary lubrication becomes more frequent...again, how does a "top tier synthetic" provide better protection, when at that point, it's additive function not hydrodynamics.

Just interested in the theory behind it.

Or is your everything OK scenario just a failure to blow up ?

I'm interested in this "better protection" as well.

Is there really any harm in running a 0W20 or 5W20 in an engine spec'd for 5W30? I mean, really, what's going to happen?

My engine calls for 5W30, but what would happen if I ran 0W20 or 5W20? I predict absolutely nothing bad would happen.

My 2001 Toyota 1ZZ-FE is spec'd for 5w30 and I currently have PP 0W20 in for the winter. Last summer I ran some HDEO 15w40 in there just to help clean up some of the light varnish on the internals. As long as I use quality oils, i'm not going to worry about it.

Don't worry all these guys that say its ok are passing the hat for a new engine if yours blows up using xw20 and Nissan tells you its your problem.

The question you should really ask yourself is

What is there to gain by not using the recommended grade of oil?

The answer is...nothing

Do you know your Rogue comes from the factory with 0w-20 oil in it?

Check on Nicoclub, there is a UOA done on it in 2008 and confirmed by Nissan.

I bought a first year Rogue in 2007-2008, and I used 5w-30 and 5w-20 oil in it. I have done UOAs on these oils, there are here on BITOG, you can look for it.
All UOAs came out just fine, even the 5w-20 ones... and I use PP 5w-20 oil which was considered one of the lightest 5w-20 at the time. I also double the recommended interval as I found it ridiculous, and I was using synthetic oil. So most OCIs were about one year.

Word of caution: Most of the time, I was driving easy, for fuel economy, rarely went over 3000 rpms (and only when engine was warm), cannot remember having been over 4000 rpms (maybe twice max), and I only once towed a trailer for a vacation (about 700 kms)... at the max capacity of the Rogue.

Now, with all the information of the other members and me, you can make up your mind on what you are going to do.

Have fun.

Because of 20 weight?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Don't worry all these guys that say its ok are passing the hat for a new engine if yours blows up using xw20 and Nissan tells you its your problem.

You got it. Its not a problem till its a problem. Just use what Nissan tells you use. It'll make life a whole lot easier if you have a problem.-RD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back