ZDDP in older 4 cylinder engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read quite a bit about ZDDP, and I am still unclear on specifically when more than the current standard oil amount is beneficial.

It seems that most of what I have read centers around older V8s, hot-rods, and (often) newly rebuilt engines. It seems that this last category is where people claim lots of failures (the wear-in period). However, I have also seen people say that ZDDP is necessary for more basic Datsun engines, etc.

I/family/friends have a 1982 Civic, a 1978 Corolla, 1980 Corolla/Tercel, and a 1982 Celica (22R).

Do these vehicles, and vehicles like them, require or benefit from oil with a higher level of ZDDP?

Currently, they all have 10-30 or 10-40 oils like current Castrol, etc.

The vehicles are liked, so, whatever they need.

Thanks.

Usually overhead cam engines have lower mass in the valvetrain and lighter springs as a result, so the additional ZDDP isn't necessary for the sliding surfaces since they are under less load. I'm not sure if any have a rollerized valvetrain, then the additional zddp really wouldn't be. Any Honda with VTEC is rollerized, but 1982 I have no idea.

I'm sorry I don't know enough about any of your particular engines, just giving the reason the ZDDP is desirable in some engines. My Toyota valvetrain is non rollerized just a cam sliding over a bucket but the zddp isn't necessary (as verified by countless UOA's, or the fact my valve adjustment isn't getting wider on regular oil) since the spring pressure is fairly low.

On the other hand in my state those woudn't be tested for emissions, and don't have O2 sensors so there is really no risk to it. So why wouldn't you run a diesel oil or defy with more zddp? They would have been run on that level of zddp for their first 18-20 years, it's not likely to hurt anything!

Last edited:
I have a '98 flat tappet B205E SAAB engine, so I very keen on to use only proper ZDDP additive package oil recommended by SAAB: it's M1 0W40 in this case.
Hoping my lines are helpful! :)

I believe the AMC150 I4 in the Jeeps has flat tappet cam as it's pretty much a chopped 258 with added fuel injection.

But, the valve spring pressure is low enough and the newest ones are ~15 years old ... so they have been work hardened for a long time now.

Is 2000 the last year of the Hurricane 150? I know this is true with the XJ Cherokee, only being put in front of the 904 3 Speed Auto. I thought 2001 and 2002 TJs could be bought with the 2.5 and either a 904 3 speed Auto or the AX-5 5 speed manual until the OHC 2.4 arrived in the 2003 TJ. Not positive on that though. Yes, the Jeep 2.5Liter 150 cubic inch 4 cylinder has flat tappet lifters and camshaft, my 1984 Jeep Cherokee has this engine with a Carter YFA feeding it. Very Tough engine. Same bore as the Jeep 4.0 at 3.44 inches with a shorter stroke than both the 4.0 and 258.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Any Honda with VTEC is rollerized

D series and B series VTEC motors are not roller rocker. IIRC this statement is true for USDM cars starting with the introduction of the R18 in 2006.

I believe the accepted thinking is that if you have an older engine with flat tappet camshafts, like my Alfa, that zinc or ZDDP levels over .10 are recommended. There are some oil company choices that fit the bill, like certain flavors of Valvoline and Brad Penn. I like Kendall GT-1 High Performance but those levels are only available in the 20w-50 weight. So I compromise by using Shell Rotella 15w-40.

None of the engines listed by the OP should need "high" (above typical SN 30-wt) levels of ZDDP. They're low-output, low valve spring pressure engines, not high-performance engines with really stiff valve springs. They're also well broken-in, so the usual ~700 PPM dose of ZDDP in everyday oils is plenty for them.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Is 2000 the last year of the Hurricane 150? I know this is true with the XJ Cherokee, only being put in front of the 904 3 Speed Auto. I thought 2001 and 2002 TJs could be bought with the 2.5 and either a 904 3 speed Auto or the AX-5 5 speed manual until the OHC 2.4 arrived in the 2003 TJ. Not positive on that though. Yes, the Jeep 2.5Liter 150 cubic inch 4 cylinder has flat tappet lifters and camshaft, my 1984 Jeep Cherokee has this engine with a Carter YFA feeding it. Very Tough engine. Same bore as the Jeep 4.0 at 3.44 inches with a shorter stroke than both the 4.0 and 258.

02 was the last year of it in the TJ Wrangler and 01 for the Cherokee. Then it switched to the Chrysler 4 cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back