Browser recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use an older PC running win xp which is used only for general web browsing. I use the latest firefox browser and have used chrome but they are tend to hog up resources. I would appreciate any suggestions for an alternate web browser. I have disabled much of the fluff which has helped.

Try out Safari or Opera to see if they are any quicker for your uses. No matter what do not use Internet Explorer on that machine. Microsoft cut off support for Windows XP back in April which means that your machine will not be patched for the latest vulnerabilities. Also disable Java if you can get by without it.

I'd try Firefox with the 'noscript' and 'adblock' extensions. They keep a whole lot of cruft from loading so your pages download faster.

I'd look at adding more memory if you're maxing out what you have available. Memory is almost always the best bang for the buck when it comes to computers.

BSW

The latest version of Opera is awful. Opera once was an excellent browser. But now, it's based on the Chrome browser engine, without all the needed parts of Chrome.

Try Chrome. I've found it best on my older PC. Firefox bogs me down.

Basically a sign you need a newer computer or operating system that optimizes your likely antiquated hardware.

Modern web experience is now more about the computer doing the work beyond the backend server.

Did you ever consider wiping the HDD of XP since it is no longer supported and unsafe surfing the www. and installing Linux Mint? I did it on my XP machines and ended up with a faster machine that can safely surf the www. Chrome works very well with LM as well. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did you ever consider wiping the HDD of XP since it is no longer supported and unsafe surfing the www. and installing Linux Mint? I did it on my XP machines and ended up with a faster machine that can safely surf the www. Chrome works very well with LM as well. Just a thought.

+1!

Also, Firefox is the fastest browser imo. Chrome uses twice the memory so I switched to Firefox.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I use an older PC running win xp which is used only for general web browsing. I use the latest firefox browser and have used chrome but they are tend to hog up resources. I would appreciate any suggestions for an alternate web browser. I have disabled much of the fluff which has helped.

My friend just bought a refurbished Dell Computer with Windows (7) I believe. Now I doubt it is a quad-Core but he said it ras really good..for $150 and 1 year warranty. That's like free. Don't screw around with a dinsaur

Last edited:
They recently had/have some C2D pentium based computers on newegg for 69$ after 30mir. came with windows 7.

I prefer microcenter refurbs.. the newegg ones are super pricy to ship back if you get a dud.

Last edited:
Have you considered backing up your data and reinstalling XP? I've seen machine go from unusable to pretty snappy with an OS reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back