Delco or Fram Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I will running a blend oil (kendall) instead of a Full syn, I want to focus a bit more on the filter. Usually run different ones on this car (cobalt), but plan to stick with one of the r....

Car likes both, and will be run 3-4 months or mileage gets hit (5-6k) Is a cartridge filter in a easy on oil ecotec...

Kinda swinging toward the fram...thoughts?

Is this a trick question? Fram Ultra over any AC Delco oil filter any day of the week!

I took the factory AC Delco oil filter off my car at 1,754 miles and went with a better filter which was the Amsoil EAO oil filter. On my second OCI, I went with the Fram Ultra. I have stocked up on so many Fram Ultra and Amsoil EAO oil filters that I can use either and rest easy knowing I have the best filtration possible.

Walmart sells the Fram Ultra filters pretty cheap too! No reason to run the Delco filters when you have the Fram Ultra as a choice.

Last edited:
Go with the Delco. Will easily do the 5-6 k interval in that time period. And will likely save you a little dough.

Really just want to get the Ultra guys fired up and chirping back. Lets see how this goes.

This is an ecotec cartridge application and after use appearance results posted here have been all over the place. In my observation the ACDelco Hengst made cartridge has looked as good or better than many posted here. The Wix/(NG) ecotec cartridge posted recently here most recently also looked very good as the link shows.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...9-3#Post3551535 And iirc there is an Auto Extra(Wix) ecotec posted here that also looked very good post use.

As the link discussion indicates many of the ecotec cartidges exhibit a crushed and/or twisted appearance post use. So for a 5-6k oci, 'of the choices' the ACDelco makes the most sense for me. Further when it comes to cartridges, there have been a couple Ultra anecdotes including an ecotec application linked that would give me pause, actually further would not be my first choice, nor worth a price premium if applicable. Based on the anecdotes posted the Ultra cartridge is not in the same category as the spin on. My .02

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3367488/Fram_XG9018_@_~11,600_-_media_

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3481556/1

IMO either is fine. I've only pulled a few ecotec filters on the two Cobalts in my family but the Delcos have always looked good. I think at 5K-6K the Ultra is overkill, but if you want to use it use it. Plus cost wise, if you are buying locally I can see the appeal of the Ultra based on pricing (the Delco is coming up $7.99 at AAP).

Personally I'd run the Ultra and run it 3 or 4 times.
smile.gif

I would not waste a 5-6k oil change on a Fram Ultra. The Ultra is now my favorite for longer OCI's but for 5-6k, I would go the cheapest route. IMOP, 99% of the chepo filters can do that these days.

For Ecotecs with cartridge filters, I like the Delco that is made by Hengst (same company that makes the housing it goes in). Very high quality filters.

How much more is the Ultra over the Delco? $1.00?!! Really? Why not get the best filtration you can get? Ultra is best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
How much more is the Ultra over the Delco? $1.00?!! Really? Why not get the best filtration you can get? Ultra is best bang for the buck.

You've got it backward.

The Hengst built OEM AC/Delco filter is actually cheaper than the FRAM.

Better filter, lower price, win-win.....

If I had a vehicle that took cartridge filters, I would try to find all the oil/ filter specials and see if I could save anything compared to just going to WM. Id just use whatever I was able to get my hands on.

That said, use whichever is cheaper and easier to find. Either way, your engine wont notice a difference.
smile.gif

Kinda some good points on each side...and using the Ultra twice would not be a bad idea either...

Here at my local WM a delco goes for about 8 bucks, and the ultra at almost 11....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Kinda some good points on each side...and using the Ultra twice would not be a bad idea either...

Here at my local WM a delco goes for about 8 bucks, and the ultra at almost 11....

Any AAP nearby? Sounds like a good opportunity for using a $10 off $30 coupon.

I used to be able to get the Delco at AAP for under $5 when I had my Ecotecs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back