Life span per starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Kohler 26 hp, the starter blew just shy of 300 hours. And on top of that, I let it idle rather than constantly cranking it. Never hold it longer than needed, etc. How long should one be expected to last? Hoping for more than 300 hours on this new one, especially at $145 a starter

I agree, thats a short life indeed!! That being said: I replaced my Starter on a 20HP Onan this fall with under 200 hours, and I too never was very hard on it. I just could not understand why.

I have a Scotts / John Deere tractor with a 22HP Kohler Twin. It has over 300 hours on it and my kids have held the starter too long on several occasions, the starter gear area probably has grass clippings galore in it and still works like new. Starters on small engines can last a long time with abuse or die an early death with proper care. There's no rhyme or reason why they would fail prematurely.

The starter on my John Deere 210 was 35+ years old and had more hours on it than I care to guess when I replaced it back in 2010 or so. There is no hour meter, but I have no doubt that the number of hours is in excess of 2000. It was replaced because it was rusted and plain old worn out.

My 757 has at least 1000 hours on the current starter. I don't know if it was changed before I owned it, but if it was not then it has almost 2000 hours on it.

Electric motors are fairly simple mechanical devices. If the coils are ok, about all there is to go bad is the brushes or bearings.

The PO of my Cub Cadet with 26hp Kohler replaced the starter at around 160hrs. I have another CC with a 22hp Kohler that the starter seems to be going bad with 120hrs.

Originally Posted By: RRich
The PO of my Cub Cadet with 26hp Kohler replaced the starter at around 160hrs. I have another CC with a 22hp Kohler that the starter seems to be going bad with 120hrs.

I don't doubt you guys one bit. However, starter motors should be robust parts.

If each use is 1/2 hour, that's only 240 starts. Or put another way, about a dollar per start, including labor. That "ain't" good.

Two main things that determine starter life are heat and corrosion. Cut down on those two issues and starters last along time.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The starter on my JD with a 20 HP B & S twin looks like a car starter. In theory it should last forever. ed
They don't

Depends on the engine/starter combo. I've had 20-30yr/old Kohler K's with the original starter on them yet.

I believe the heat and corrosion statement. I blow my 1998 JD LX off with a leaf blower after every use and store it inside a semi warm garage in the basement. I think all equipment benefits from being stored inside. My 1964 JD round fender 110 has the original starter/generator on it and still works great. The 7hp Kohler K does have the ACR which is easy on starters. Though some starters, and bolt on parts in general seem to be destined for early failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back