Over filling motor oil reservoir question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say vehicle holds 4.5 (with filter who cares about filter math) quarts and I put in another 2 quarts, what happens?

You will burn oil - the oil will blow by your oil rings on the pistons and you will notice a lot of smoke upon acceleration.

A little over no big deal. 2 quarts? I'd worry about the oil getting aerated by the crankshaft whipping the oil up. Might be bad for the bearings at high rpm.

reservoir? if you overfill the engine too much the level in the drain pan would be high and the crank could whip it up.. Aerated oil doesn't lubricate or pump well.

I went over by 1/3 of a quart and was worried..fill to the correct level or only a tad more. Why overfill by 2 quarts???

It may depend on the make and model of the vehicle as well. It's known that if you overfill a Toyota Prius you could trip the computer, throwing some codes, and actually shut the car down...

I personally noticed more of darker smoke when its over filled, its a clear sign of oil burning. Its bad for piston, anything over half a quart should really be dumped out.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Say vehicle holds 4.5 (with filter who cares about filter math) quarts and I put in another 2 quarts, what happens?

Why would you want to do this?

Just wanted to know what happens, didn't do it. Mainly so when someone ask why on Google they will know why.

Not much if don't intend to start it and use the vehicle.

If you do intend to use it, then best to drain (1.5 quarts at least in this instance) such that it is no more than 0.5 quarts over the full mark.

About 10 years ago I was working at a Jiffy Lube when a guy came in with a V6 Passat. He said he added oil until it was full and it started running bad.

Turns out, his idea of full was adding until he saw oil up to the fill hole.

The car was still running, somehow, though VERY sluggishly. I actually don't remember it smoking much. If I remember right the manager agreed to drain out the excess if the guy signed a waiver or something like that. The car seemed to run fine once the excess oil was drained out.

That was by far the most severe case of overfilling I have seen in person.

Generally, the first place a problem shows up is oil going through the crankcase ventilation system into the intake. Smoking (Oil burning), and possibly fouled spark plugs, if it is bad enough. Not a good thing to do to an engine.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Just wanted to know what happens, didn't do it. Mainly so when someone ask why on Google they will know why.

A noble gesture.

Folks like that need to stick to dealer service or use a reliable shop nearby.

You can't fix stupid.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
About 10 years ago I was working at a Jiffy Lube when a guy came in with a V6 Passat. He said he added oil until it was full and it started running bad.

One would think that he would have thought it strange/unusual for his V Dub to take a CASE of oil or more to be "full"!!
21.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

One would think that he would have thought it strange/unusual for his V Dub to take a CASE of oil or more to be "full"!!
21.gif
eek.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2861715/Re:_Do_we_need_to_go_back_to_P#Post2861715

From when I drove a service station console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back