Input/output error, is my HDD going out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I have an extra 500GB HDD that came out of my laptop when I upgraded to an SSD. Well I was going to make it into an extra external drive, but when I went to format it, I keep getting this error:

Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda:Input/output error

It won't let me reformat it at all, I have tried just about anything I can think of. It is just sitting as 500GB of unallocated space.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Crystal Disk Info will tell you all you want to know, but I think you need to get it online first. Maybe the drive is not compatible with the external hard drive enclosure.

I ran a smart disk test on it and it came up fine for everything. It's not just with the external HDD enclosure, I tried it in a few computers as well.

dude, sda is probably the internal drive.

How are you 'formattting it"; did you use fdisk -l to make sure you are using the correct drive?

If you do a df -k and print where the / or /boot parition is, if is says /dev/sda1, you are trying to format the wrong drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
dude, sda is probably the internal drive.

How are you 'formattting it"; did you use fdisk -l to make sure you are using the correct drive?

If you do a df -k and print where the / or /boot parition is, if is says /dev/sda1, you are trying to format the wrong drive.

Sorry, that was from when I tried it as the only HDD off of a live USB! It really is /dev/sdc.
smile.gif

What tool are you using to format it?

You should be doing this from the command line; all the GUI tools and automount software tends to get in the way.

You need to use mkfs; make sure no partitions are mounted.

Frankly, i would also use fdisk /dev/sdc and make sure all the partition info is correct.

Last edited:
This is solved!! I just remembered that I had set a password on the HDD a while back when it was in my laptop, so I put it back in the laptop, turned the password off in the setup menu, and it works now!!
blush.gif

Was that your primary HD in the laptop? If so, you need to repartition to get all the space back. (easiest thing to do)

There might be a swap partition = to the amount of RAM you have and a /boot partition.

"It works" is referring to repartitioning and making a new fs?

Last edited:
Yes it was the only HDD that I had in the laptop. I already reformatted it and installed Linux Mint on it. I decided to just use it as my primary HDD in my desktop since it is much quieter than the 10 year old drive that was in there!

Originally Posted By: mpersell
LUKS is an unforgiving witch.

That's not what it was. It was the HDD password from the system BIOS.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: mpersell
LUKS is an unforgiving witch.

That's not what it was. It was the HDD password from the system BIOS.

Why aren't you using encrypted LVM?

The password I had on the HDD was from a while back when I was just playing around in the BIOS and wanted to see how the HDD password worked. (Because I had never tried it before) I didn't really need it there, but I left it there anyway. That was back when I still was using Windows, before I made the switch to Linux. I'm not using encrypted LVM because I don't see a reason for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back