900+miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Merkava_4 - You made some subjective comments in a recent UOA concerning a Mobil 1 product which I asked you to respond to - no response!

Strange that - but here you are proffering subjective advice again

On this Forum it would seem wise to be able to back up such advice - I'm waiting.................

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
Just curious...why SuperTech and no other synthetic?

Because other synthetics are overhyped. They spend megabucks on advertising and then have the audacity to charge the consumer for it!

Not spending a lot of money on marketing you are right as if you click the link below you can see why by the bottle design we have here in Canada.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sae-5w-30-100-synthetic-44l/6000111967082

The OP is from Canada, so SuperTech here is really not an inexpensive option like the US Walmarts. It rarely if ever goes on sale and most of the Walmarts I go to don't really stock much of the synthetic either. Formula1 synthetic (by Shell) at CanTire, when on special, is our best house brand option and a decent oil.

$43.97 for 4.4L is an insane price. That's not even a full 5 quarts. I don't know what keeps you Canadians from running down the street screaming mad. I hope you people at least don't have to pay property taxes.

LOL...you should see what the property taxes are like here. This is why the other thread "Does it matter if oil is on special" the general consensus from Canadians will be YES!

LOL...you should see what the property taxes are like here. This is why the other thread "Does it matter if oil is on special" the general consensus from Canadians will be YES!

+1, Oily nailed it!
Property taxes, GST, HST, PST, Environmental Levies, Carbon Tax, Transit Tax.........
You name it, we have it!

Originally Posted By: gold01ca

+1, Oily nailed it!
Property taxes, GST, HST, PST, Environmental Levies, Carbon Tax, Transit Tax.........
You name it, we have it!

Yup and don't forget those FEES (License fee, Eco Fee, etc., etc.)....they tell us they are not the same as taxes instead they are fees....got to love our inefficient governments.

+1, Oily nailed it!
You name it, we have it!

Yup and don't forget those FEES (License fee, Eco Fee, etc., etc.)....they tell us they are not the same as taxes instead they are fees....got to love our inefficient governments.

Sounds like Massachusetts...

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

+1, Oily nailed it!
You name it, we have it!

Sounds like Massachusetts...

Massachusetts is a left leaning state, correct? If so, it would explain why we share the same pain.

Oily_hair i have Castrol GTX 5w20 dino in the sump right now..dam yes those taxes are something else..told my wife after my retirement im going back deep into the woods where i used to live lol.As Hank Williams jr sings country boys can survive

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Because other synthetics are overhyped. They spend megabucks on advertising and then have the audacity to charge the consumer for it!

Now, now, Merk. As for SuperTech synthetic, we have just recently started getting it up here (it's not even called SuperTech in Canada anymore), and I highly doubt it's one of the various American versions. Walmart up here uses Safety-Kleen for their conventional, and probably grab something similarly economical for their Canadian synthetic. So, your product probably isn't even available up here, unless one finds it imported or as the "original" product by the blender.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Now, now, Merk. As for SuperTech synthetic, we have just recently started getting it up here (it's not even called SuperTech in Canada anymore), and I highly doubt it's one of the various American versions. Walmart up here uses Safety-Kleen for their conventional, and probably grab something similarly economical for their Canadian synthetic. So, your product probably isn't even available up here, unless one finds it imported or as the "original" product by the blender.
wink.gif

Supertech is sold in Canada under the label "Tune it" as I posted in the link in my post above. Safety Kleen must be available only Western Provinces or will be the replacement for Tune It as I have never seen it here in Ontario (yet)...or at least the WM's I have visited. As also mentioned it is not stocked well like the bigger brand names and it is also quite expensive compared to CanTire's Formula 1 synthetic that often goes on special at a decent price.

Last edited:
I like to see some UOA on Tune IT. I never seen anyone purchase Tune It in stores for some reason.

Hi,

Merkava_4 - still waiting!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Merkava_4 - You made some subjective comments in a recent UOA concerning a Mobil 1 product which I asked you to respond to - no response!

Strange that - but here you are proffering subjective advice again

On this Forum it would seem wise to be able to back up such advice - I'm waiting.................

Originally Posted By: Indy
I never seen anyone purchase Tune It in stores for some reason.

It's never on special like Valvoline, Pennzoil and Castrol plus the bottles label design is not appealing and even though the back says all the right things of what specs it meets it looks only lawn mower worthy to my eyes. That name Tune It is just plain stupid and dollar store sounding that I could never bring myself to throwing one of those bottles in my cart. I'm sure others feel the same way. This would be one great example of why you should spend a few dollars more on a marketing team to come up with an appealing label design for your product.

For the last few years I have been changing the oil in my truck once a year for warranty purposes. I have only been driving it about 4000 miles per year. The manual says 5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first, or 3000 miles or 3 months for severe service. My local dealer I have been using for oil changes and warranty work assured me if I followed 5000 miles or one year I would still be covered for oil related issues. They were even using a 1 year or 5000 miles on my window sticker.

That being said, This year I noticed the inside of my oil cap has been milky white. It is a clean looking white, so I am fairly sure it's from condensation and not anti-freeze. It seemed to be worse in the spring and fall. I would guess it's because of the temperature swings and humid hazy days. Lately my truck only comes out for out of town trips, although the few short trips I do make likely contribute. The oil may not be able to tell time, but the moisture seems to be having an effect.
Even if it is rare, the possibility of moisture is enough to change it once a year. Unless the cap keeps getting milky next year, then maybe I will switch to every 6 months.

Supertech is sold in Canada under the label "Tune it" as I posted in the link in my post above. Safety Kleen must be available only Western Provinces or will be the replacement for Tune It as I have never seen it here in Ontario (yet)...or at least the WM's I have visited.

Safety-Kleen supplies to for Walmart. Safety-Kleen doesn't sell retail, they simply bottle for resellers (i.e. Walmart) or sell in bulk to fleets. As for Tune-It in general, one can get it at a pretty good price by the 5 gallon pail, and once in a while, Walmart will sell it for $6 per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back