landing lights??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the post about upgrading lights for older cars-reminded me of sourcing some aircraft landing lights for my '65 Pontiac GP long ago. I was driving out in the wide open west quite a bit and it was very easy to outdrive my lights. Anyway I had to rebend and file the prongs a bit to fit the conector, but they were a decent fit and did a great job in place of the OE high beams. I recall coming into Minnesota from Ontario one day and not far from the border the Minn highway patrol had set up a 'safety check'. I could see they didn't particulary 'like' my lights, but apparently had no regulation/guidance as to legality. So they used their headlight aiming device and decided I had to have them re-aimed and a 'fix-it' ticket to be signed off by one of the 'approved 'repair stations. They were aimed fine and I ran them until my wife centerpunched a telephone pole with that fine car. Anybody do similar?

Ya i had some in my Toyota pickup way back when. I too got a fix it ticket and I was not even using them.had them where the high beams go.

Cop saw them (off but clear glass)and came after me.

Many Peugeot 504s had a clear spot on the drivers side, OEM. All those old regulations went bye bye when "Aero" headlamps were approved.

Last edited:
Yup, mine were flat and clear lenses-we're talking general aviation 12v. I had to be careful with oncoming traffic-using them mostly on semi empty rural areas, but they also did a decent job of lighting the shoulders for wildlife.

Had a pair of 4509's on my first car, a TR6. Learned a lot about the capabilities of that Lucas alternator...

(Interestingly enough...I now have LED's for my actual landing/taxi lights)

I remember a guy around here who had a Datson 510 with an old Turbo Tom turbo kit on it that had a pair of aircraft landing lights for the high beams. I held my hand in front of the beam 20' away and still felt the heat off them. All I thought was 'god said let there be light, right? Here's PLENTY for ya'.

Originally Posted By: KenO
I remember a guy around here who had a Datson 510 with an old Turbo Tom turbo kit on it that had a pair of aircraft landing lights for the high beams. I held my hand in front of the beam 20' away and still felt the heat off them. All I thought was 'god said let there be light, right? Here's PLENTY for ya'.
The infared is just wasted energy unless you have the scope for it.

Originally Posted By: cbear
LIDAR is IR. With that much output, you can overpower the sensor.
ANd you better hope it reads low in such cases.

I ran a pair of Par 36 100-watt sealed beam landing lights behind the grille on my '63 Bonneville.

No drilling required either. GM conveniently put two pairs of holes in the radiator filler panel. I ran the landing lights in the outboard holes; 50-watt yellow fog lamps in the inboard ones.

These were great! I ran them in the hi beam sockets in my 1959 Ford, commuting home after night shift work at 2 am. Stunning, likely 2 miles of road lit up, could make reflective road signs almost painful to look at. Tungsol brand from JC Whitney, I think about 4 bucks each.

Got "safety checked" with them once, patrolman noted that they were pretty bright and he could feel the heat on his pants. He seemed concerned but could not determine any violation so sent me on my way.

The GE 4509 (and it's variants, such as the Q version with quartz halogen bulb) is the standard PAR 36, small aircraft landing light. It's 100 watts, about 2000 lumens and has a satisfyingly bright light, nice color and a really good pattern as a headlight. I've used them with excellent results in various vehicles.

Today, one can purchase a 36 watt, 4 LED, 3600 Lumen light that performs EXACTLY like a GE 4509. The link below is for pair of such lights. They are available in single quantities too.

www.teslaleds.com

Edit: I understand the lumen ratings differ. However, real world performance is quite similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back