WHY is my new tire doing this!? Mounted wrong?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got 4 new Pirelli P7 A/S Plus on my 2013 Camry SE (25k in car) at Discount Tire 2 hours from here, the tires have 600 miles on them and I noticed some "heel-to-toe" wear on the inner driver front tire. Already?! , i thought to myself. I went and have an allignment check set up for this Tuesday but now I REALIZE something....

Every tire EXCEPT the drivers front is mounted the same direction orientation. I don't 'think' that these tires are directional in a huge way but they DO shed water in a different direction. And this one tire has it's 'bite' towards the front with the oddball way it is mounted.

I just checked the tire rack website and šure as heck they show the tire mounted specifically facing the way 3 of my 4 tires are correctly. Darn it! What to do? I don't want to travel to have the tire peeled off and stretched and flipped sides.

So:
A. Is it bad to have one tire oriented different and fighting the others?
B. Have a look at my photo (upper left corner of pic). And you can see the heel-to-toe wear. What the heck?! Link>>> Tire mis oriented heel to to wear

Yes, the tires are asymmetrical, meaning that they have an inside & outside(different tread patterns on either side of center) which is stated on the side wall of the tires. Look to see that all tires say on their outer sidewalls......"OUTSIDE".

If they do, you're good to go! But, you may have an alignment issue even if you just had the alignment done. Check the printout of the alignment sheet and make sure.

My daughter's Mazda 3 listed in my signature has the new Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S PLUS as does my SIL's Mitsu Outlander. My SIL had issues with her installer. They initially installed them with the "Inside" OUT on all 4. She had to go back and have them do it right!

Last edited:
Confirm that any of them are actually mounted wrong. As previously mentioned, they'll be marked showing which side should go out.

But, I don't think that would cause your issue. I'd look into the alignment.

CONFIRMED MOUNTED WRONG

Look at this! Inside out! Thanks Discount Tire!
Oh, an here's the picture link to prove it: Inside Out Professional Work

This is all they do ALL day, it says inside in 5 languages!

So now: I am continuing with my alignment check. I now also need to deal with this including the likelyhood that the bead (sticky new and unlubed) will stress and tear, basically not a new tire any more)

LETS HAVE FUN: what do I want out of this from Discount Tire? Gas money to get there? New tire? Free sservice voucher? All of those?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I now also need to deal with this including the likelyhood that the bead (sticky new and unlubed) will stress and tear, basically not a new tire any more)

Dismounting it and remounting it won't damage the tire unless it's done totally wrong. I worked in a tire shop and I never damaged a tire by dismounting and remounting it that I can remember. We did that all the time for things like flat repairs.

DT seems big on customer service. Call them and see what they say. I would suggest getting them to pay for a local place to re-mount it.

Plus, why did you buy tires from a place so far away? How will you get them rotated and balanced?

They had a good deal good service ratings and I go down every 6 months, which works great for rotation, to see my paraplegic father.

I want to vomit. THIs tire has special shaped outer tread and more blocks there because it gets lest typical wear due to camber and now it's worn incorrectly as it's done 600+ miles of wear, backwards on new tread which is squirmy dues to its new height and most susceptible to maltreatment.

Brand new, 600miles backwards on tread meant for outside wear.

I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

Get the tire remounted, get DT to pay for it and move on with life.

I doubt being mounted inside out briefly hurt anything or caused your wear. Remounting the tire won't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

Get the tire remounted, get DT to pay for it and move on with life.

I doubt being mounted inside out briefly hurt anything or caused your wear. Remounting the tire won't hurt anything.

^^^ This. We you inconvenienced? Yes. Did it ruin anything? No. This is why there are erasers on pencils. The guy made a mistake. He didn't do it on purpose.

Scott

I am not going to get personal but inconvenience is the wrong word IMO. I paid a place that only does tires to do it. I now have driven hundreds of miles on a tire backwards when specifically designed to go the other way with a huge word INSIDE on it. I have an ill child. It's New Years week and it's going to be -7degrees here with sundown at 4:30pm and deer in the highways, this is far more than a messed up taco 5 miles from home. This is an F* up. And now I get to spend gas and time in fridged temps fooling around.

Did it ruin the tire- no , it rolls , did it mess it up , yes! And I bought new tires.

It's not a directional tire, just has an inside and outside. If they decided to mount that tire on the other side but put the "outside" outside it would be spinning the same direction. Your car has an alignment issue if you're seeing it wear weird.

Also- I had this VERY set of tires mounted on my car 2 days ago (Friday). They're the best thing I've ever done, it's a totally different car now (in a good way) and I had no idea what an impact tires have on a car.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I am not going to get personal but inconvenience is the wrong word IMO. I paid a place that only does tires to do it. I now have driven hundreds of miles on a tire backwards when specifically designed to go the other way with a huge word INSIDE on it. I have an ill child. It's New Years week and it's going to be -7degrees here with sundown at 4:30pm and deer in the highways, this is far more than a messed up taco 5 miles from home. This is an F* up. And now I get to spend gas and time in fridged temps fooling around.

Did it ruin the tire- no , it rolls , did it mess it up , yes! And I bought new tires.

As another poster said... they made a mistake... it happens... should it have happened... no, but it did, and you can't change that... and, geez... ENOUGH WHINING ALREADY...

How about get a local tire shop to flip it and rebalance... and move on... cost you a few $, and, you learned a lesson here...

Always check your tires BEFORE you leave the shop...

Send DT a picture and ask them if they want to remount it themselves and pay for gas or prefer to reimburse you for local job.
Stuff happens. I check tires for obvious mounting problems before leaving.

Vibration - that is hard to fix sometimes. Imagine need to return to get it done a few times and then replacing tires.

Any savings will be erased by all these travels.

Simmer down now (sounds like Summer Donna in SNL skit) and good luck.

Krzys

Like others have said, you have an alignment issue, but you caught it early enough that there will be no permanent damage - even to the tire mounted backwards - which you should get turned around.

Oh and when you talk to Discount Tire, be courteous and calm, and you'll likely get better results. People don't react well to demands and yelling.

@ the OP: I doubt you've damaged the tire. I once bought a car in Chicago and drove it home to Cape Cod, a little over 1,000 miles. It had Pirelli P-Zero something tires on the front which ARE directional and the seller had them on the wrong sides. Steering had a little shimmy all the way home, but nothing drastic. I didn't discover the issue until later and after I switched them to the correct sides, the shimmy was gone and they lasted a good long time with no unusual wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back