0w-20 in a newer engine that specs 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has probably been asked many times but really looking for someone with a newer Nissan Rogue who is using 0w-20 in their QR25DE motor, I think it would be fine?

My other two vehicles spec a 20 weight oil so the thought is I could buy/use the same oil on all of my vehicles, Toyota 0w-20.

'08 Tundra 5.7L
'04 Accord 2.4L

Thanks

Last edited:
I never understood why it's a big deal to just grab a jug of oil in another weight. Go to Walmart, grab 2 jugs of 0w20 and walk 3 more feet and grab another jug of another weight.

If I was going to chance 0w20 in a 5w30 application it wouldn't be TGMO.....maybe M 1 AFE...

Originally Posted By: jdavis
From what I've read, TGMO is practically a 30 weight at operating temps..

CATERHAM has suggested that it's bordering on a 16...with an HTHS of 2.6, it's not bordering on any 30 grade.

Perhaps I'm thinking of M1 0w-20? I can't recall.. I'm currently running M1 0w-20 EP in the Tundra but have always liked TGMO.

What are you trying to gain?

It's just a bad idea all around.. and I'll leave it there without writing a book.

You have your facts mixed up. TGMO is a light 20-grade. You'd be better off using P4 5W-30, a light 30-grade for all your vehicles if you want to stick with one grade/formula. It's better to error on the side of too heavy than too light.

Mainly asking because the same year Altima using the QR25DE specs 20 weight oil.. the Rogue is definitely used lightly and never any towing or anything.

Ummmmmm. No.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
You have your facts mixed up. TGMO is a light 20-grade. You'd be better off using P4 5W-30, a light 30-grade for all your vehicles if you want to stick with one grade/formula. It's better to error on the side of too heavy than too light.

I agree it's better to er on the dude of caution.

But let's put this into perspective.
If the engine is operated lightly and a 20 grade is being used elsewhere in this engine then one could assume a 20 grade could be used in this application.
The only way I would consider it is if the engine is operated lightly,and used oil analysis confirm the oil isn't contributing to engine wear.
So to do that you'd need a couple or 3 used oil analysis using the prescribed 30 grade to establish trends.
Then use your 20 grade and compare it to the trended data. If all looks consistent then your good to go.
I suggest sending a pm to caterham. If anyone would know if you can get away with it he would.
If you'd got real oil temp and pressure gauges make a note of typical pressure and temps.
If the oil temp exceeds 240f consistently I would NOT go thinner. If oil temps are lower than that typically,and adequate pressure can be maintained then I might give it a shot.

While I would be tempted also I'm not sure what the gain is. Odds are you are paying far more in depreciation than you might pay in oil cost. If shopping at Walmart or the dealer is too much of a hassle I would order the oil.

We used to go out every weekend, or every other, as a family to go shopping. Often did dinner too. We've gotten cheap since then, but a big shopping trip still occurs every 2-3 months now. If it is a big deal just buy say five oil changes of stuff and stash it away.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Under warranty?

That would not play out well if you tried to issue a claim for engine related failures.

WHOA.

If your still under factory warranty op don't even consider going thinner unless you get the oem to state it won't affect warranty,IN WRITING.
Otherwise forget it. The couple mpg you might potentially gain by using thinner oil isn't worth the risk. Not in my opinion anyway.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Just used what's spec'd for the vehicle.

Good idea...we can now shut down this web site and all preach from the owners manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back