napa gold = wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the local Napa parts store looking for a filter for my Ford and the price of the Napa Gold was something like $15. The Wix filter at the Oreilly down the road was about $8. Why is Napa charging almost 2x more for essentially the same filter? Again this is the napa gold not platinum filter. The plat I think was 14.

That's a lot for a Napa gold. At my store they are cheaper online than on the shelf.

The Oreilly might have been more similar to a Napa silver, also made by Wix. You might try that. Wix are pretty easy to ID by the heavy spring thread end bypass (as opposed to a purolator or champ labs lighter flat spring bypass on the dome end).

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I would buy a Motorcraft filter.

X2.

My Napa is a bit pricier than Oreillys too. Not quite that bad, but I can save a few bucks by not going there.

Have you considered the top-tier Fram ULTRA (if they have one for your vehicle). Great efficiency with double synthetic media and wire-back construction. Its under $9 for my Ford.

Check it out at WalMart.

I actually looked up the price of the Napa 7202. WOW that's expensive!

But the funny part is that the Napa Platinum 47202 (Wix XP 57202XP) is actually *cheaper* than the Gold, at $12.49!

I even checked out filter1.com and the XP is cheaper on that site too!

Does O'R carry Wix XP? Because if they do, then you should really consider it!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
That's a lot for a Napa gold. At my store they are cheaper online than on the shelf.

The Oreilly might have been more similar to a Napa silver, also made by Wix. You might try that. Wix are pretty easy to ID by the heavy spring thread end bypass (as opposed to a purolator or champ labs lighter flat spring bypass on the dome end).

There are a least two models of NAPA Gold made by WIX that aren't assembled as advertised:

see page 4, my message #3576105
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3572048/4

Last edited:
After the next amsoil oil change and uoa, im gonna try PP or Valvoline synpower paired with the fram ultra. Im all about supporting the local economy.

Last edited:
The Napa here is the same way. They seem to charge about twice what the filter is actually worth.

We just got an O'reillys so I'm going to start buying filter from them. They sell actual wix filters. Not rebranded made to store specs like napa does.

Quote:
on the website its $15.69 for the gold 7202 filter. thats more than an amsoil filter lol.

$15.49 here and based on Fleet Filter that appears to be about retail price. O'R price is only $1.50 less. Seems to be a diesel application filter.

Many/most Napa stores are franchises, and I've found the everyday Napa Gold prices to be similar to Wix's at O'R. However twice yearly my local Napa has a 40% off Napa Gold sale which is when I buy my NG's. Make the prices for my applications ~$3.60 to $3.75. So a very good value. Cartridges a bit more.

Think the key if shopping Napa for filters is to catch the sales, either the national or local.

Why do these things always turn into a FRAM Ultra commercial?

I'd be slow to recommend an Ultra unless you have some history using that particular filter in your own vehicle.

FRAM can be hit and miss on some applications.

Anyway, the Motorcraft is an easy recommendation for a Ford diesel application.

But the NAPA/Wix would be a very close second choice for me.

If it's a Ford 6.0 or 6.7 liter diesel, some of the heavy equipment dealers nearby might offer a high quality Donaldson at a good value too.

Originally Posted By: CDX825
They sell actual wix filters. Not rebranded made to store specs like napa does.
NAPA Gold filters ARE actual WIX filters except for the paint on the can.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Why do these things always turn into a FRAM Ultra commercial?

I'd be slow to recommend an Ultra unless you have some history using that particular filter in your own vehicle.

FRAM can be hit and miss on some applications.

So you can make some anit-Ultra comments.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back