Monroe vs KYB vs Moog strut mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would send that back and buy the factory parts or at least buy matching parts locally.
I have yet to get 2 matching parts mail order.

Originally Posted By: ron350
I would send that back and buy the factory parts or at least buy matching parts locally. I have yet to get 2 matching parts mail order.

Criticize The Critic?? Never!
grin.gif

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. This is simply the nature of today's car parts market. While I want to say that mail order is risky, this happens from the brick and mortar stores also (one of my Carquest brake drums was bad out of the box). Bought local is easier to handle though.

Many here have noted that Moog is going down hill. What a shame.

As above, return them and write a few letters noting your displeasure.

Sorry for your problem. This kind of stuff is all too common now a days.

In theory the Thailand one that's silky smooth should be ok. I don't think mismatch between L/R is an issue but the clunkyness would be. Even if it means you have to buy a KYB or Monroe on the other one it is probably fine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the KYB one is identical to the Japanese clunky one, or the Monroe one is the same as the Thailand one (or the other way around). Strut work is something you don't want to do twice, exchange the parts till you are satisfied before you start.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Send them back and get the Monroes instead.

That is what I will be doing. Hopefully, Rockauto will cooperate.
Interestingly enough, the number that is printed on the clunky one is 901944, which is Monroe's part number.

I had the same experience with KYB mounts. One from one country and one from another. They looked different and both looked very cheesy. The bearing had separated on one and balls were all over the bottom of the box. KYB and Moog source their mounts from various suppliers and it is a real [censored] as to what you get. I ordered Moog sway bar bushings and they were reboxed Toyota OEM's with the Toyota p/n molded in the rubber. KYB makes great struts but stay away from their mounts.

Last edited:
I finally got around to ordering the Monroes.

I just received them today and here is what I found:

The mounts were matching and were from Taiwan.

There are no grease leaks from either of the bearings. Both bearings are from Japan, but of a different brand than the one Moog mount. Both bearings spin smoothly with no notchiness or noise. Lastly, the strut mounts have pieces of foam insulation for the side that contacts the chassis - this is something that the Moog and KYB mounts both lack.

Best of all, the Monroes were the cheapest of the various options - $49 shipped for both.

9EE0157D-4E7A-44F0-80CF-34307F797D76-868-00000063EEEEBC12_zpsdc8b36ac.jpg

2041E045-A361-4D1A-B2D4-7B96D7ED3F70-868-00000063EC12256D_zps07a0fc77.jpg

F78341D5-BC4D-4FD0-8056-2365044B9967-868-00000063E9251F4D_zpsc56d72ec.jpg

Assuming that these work as well they look, I will be very happy with Monroe. Despite their bad reputation on many internet forums, Monroe has impressed with their products. These mounts appear to be better than Moog or KYB, and their OESpectrum shocks also worked well for me on another car. Monroe's stuff is also a bit cheaper than other brands.

Last edited:
I told you just go with Monroe
smile.gif
. Nah nice update, thanks. More people should provide good feedback like that instead of all the baseless brand opinions you see. I am not all that big of a fan of KYB especially their mounts. Moog can be hit or miss and overpriced. It's all pretty hit-or-miss and makes it tough with mail ordereing. But I've been satisfied with my Monroe lately so far. Those do look like nice mounts almost like OE.

I went with KYB as that's who made the OE for my app. The ones I got were made in India and seemed very well made but it's hard to tell. The OE was likely from Japan. Anyway, I got a pair sent up from RockAuto for less that it would cost for me to order one up here.

Well, here's an update --

25,000 miles later, both of the front strut mounts are making nasty popping sounds.

Also, I later found out that the exposed bearings on the Moog mounts simply meant that they did not include the dust cover. It's a separate part that you can get from the dealer for a few dollars; the monroes just happened to include it.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Well, here's an update --

25,000 miles later, both of the front strut mounts are making nasty popping sounds.

Also, I later found out that the exposed bearings on the Moog mounts simply meant that they did not include the dust cover. It's a separate part that you can get from the dealer for a few dollars; the monroes just happened to include it.

That is why I buy only OEM strut mounts for my Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Just pay a little extra $$ and sleep well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back