ticking after oil change 08 Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2008 dodge gran caravan. Every time I change its oil and start it the engine makes a ticking sound for 5 to 10 seconds and then smoothes out. Is it because the engine isn't as lubricated aND oil filter isn't filled with oil? The filter mounts straight up and down and I don't fill it with oil before installing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah on completely vertical filters with the oil filter gasket up, fill it with oil and then install. Of course this doesn't work on horizontal filters or vertical filters that mount upside down.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Put a Mopar filter back on it.

I tend to agree. Usually when a tick presents itself in an engine that never ticked before it is the filter that's the issue and not the oil.
Next interval try a different filter.

What is different about the Mopar filter by the way? I'm using the Purolator gold incase you wanted to know

He is saying the engine ticks for only the first 5-10 seconds after an oil change, not that it continues to tick for weeks and months after an oil change, unless I'm reading it wrong. This is completly normal and can be negated by filling the oil filter with oil first.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
What is different about the Mopar filter by the way? I'm using the Purolator gold incase you wanted to know

The Mopar filter will have a base end bypass vs. a dome end bypass. My Jeep seems to like them too. My dads Jeep with the 3.8 seems to be a bit vocal with its M1 filter at the moment. I have had great luck with WIX, which also uses the base end bypass for this application, but I am tempted to try a Mopar filter out next.

Purolator and Fram (to name a few) use a dome end bypass. WIX makes a few that do as well, but they are few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back