Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw an add for Amazon on the internet, and the add was for Mobil 1 AFE 0W20. Only, they had it listed for $77.?? for a 5 QT jug, or $47.?? for a 6 quart pack. What the heck?? Anyone else see this and what is the point of those prices??

Some amazon vendors use robots to watch other vendors and add 10%. It gets into a feedback loop.

I like Amazon, but you really have to compare prices with other sites, as Amazon's prices tend to be all over the place.
As you saw, sometimes they are nuts.

These prices are from different third party sellers on Amazon. They can list any price they like and once in a while a sucker will bite.

Yeah, many third-party sellers use software that monitors competitors' prices and adjusts theirs dynamically. If too many of them do it, they can get into insane computer-controlled bidding wars that bear no resemblance to cost or what buyers are willing to pay.

I remember an article recently where some sellers wanted to sue the software vendor because it had ended up selling expensive items for $0.01.

I have purchased Mag1 oil on there for $11 for a 4 qt jug of 5w30 full syn (free shipping over $35) and gone back the next day and it was $29. Silly.

Now if I find the $11 deal I will buy it all.

Last edited:
I love Amazon and order something from them about once or twice a week with the free 2 day shipping (Amazon prime, includes free movies and TV shows too)

You do have to watch their prices though. They can be all over the map from a super great buy to way too expensive for some items. I don't quite understand the pricing strategy, but you can get great deals on Amazon.

What I really don't like is the price jumping around on Amazon like mad.

I was going to buy a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD that was $199 CAD.

A few days later it is $230 CAD.

I was trying to decide on an MMO mouse. Was going to buy a white Logitech G600 for around $52 CAD, and the Black one (which I prefered) was $71 CAD. Had it in my cart.

The FOLLOWING DAY the mouse went to $77 CAD. The WHITE G600 is now $6 more expensive!!

If you see a great deal on Amazon, just buy it that moment.

They are experimenting with price fluctuations but I find it a turnoff.

One reason for the price fluctuations is that each item is listed as having several different possible suppliers. For instance, if it is coming directly from Amazon for $50 and then sells out from Amazon, they will list it as available from XYZ company for $55 and ZYX company for $60.

Many companies will also ship their product to Amazon and have Amazon's superior fulfillment. For example, I send my bubbatime widget to Amazon and ask them to sell it for me for $30. Amazon takes out their fee and shipping cost and then gives me the profit back on each item they sell. I still own all the product that is stocked in Amazon's warehouse and can ask for it back at anytime. I set my own prices and have to compete against other retailers and Amazon that are also selling the bubbatime widget.

Was looking on Amazon for a out of print book a while back. One seller had the book for a fair price of about $30. the highest price seller was something like $365.
Wondered the same thing.

I've had price fluctuations for items in my shopping cart during a single session. I watched an item in my cart go up and down in price a couple of times before I checked out.

Get an Extension for your browser to tell you about better deals.

My friend told me about "InvisibleHand" its an extension in chrome and its already helped a bunch

also The Camelizer for Amazon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back