0w30 question comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may give a 0w30 a go on my 2013 pathfinder. There used to be a lot of people who loved the German castrol 0w30. It seems that has been reformulated and now under the edge label. How is the current castrol and m1 differ in the 0w30 flavor.?

It's been discussed before but simply:

M1 AFE is a replacement GF-5 for 5w-30 and 10w-30 users with an HTHS of 3.0 designed to give you a .2% to .3% fuel economy gain.

Castro Edge European Formula 0w-30 is a ACEA A3/B4 oil for long drain capability and is over 3.5 HTHS(Castrol won't say exactly).

Castrol is an A3/B4 high HTHS long drain oil with the target audience being the European crowd. M1 is a low friction oil for the NA crowd interested in fuel economy. Generalized statement but I think that is the key difference.

M1 iirc doesn't have a product in the 0w-30 flavour that meets the European spec,so I wouldn't be using it in a European vehicle that specifies a euro grade.
The castrol 0w-30/0w-40 are pretty much identical in respect to the additive package,only the 0w-40 is slightly thicker. The m1 0w-30 and their euro 0w-40 are very different due to one requiring meeting the toughest oil specs on earth,and the other is a substitute for engines that call for an Xw-30.
I'd not give using M1 0w-30 in any American vehicle that specifies 5w-20 however I would have to give using m1 0w-30 in a European vehicle some significant thought and dig into what specs are different,and how important those features are in relation to what posdible problems may cone from repeated use.
For example if NOACK is too high that may lead to an increase in intake tract deposits over time.
So you'd need to learn why each spec is important.

I believe he's talking about a Nissan that spec's 5w30. In that case the Mobil 0w30 should be a good fit.

You might want to spend some time in this M1 product chart. Once people understand that standard M1 5W-30 has a superior additive package to AFE, it doesn't make much sense to downgrade for its claimed benefits.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.ashx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
You might want to spend some time in this M1 product chart. Once people understand that standard M1 5W-30 has a superior additive package to AFE, it doesn't make much sense to downgrade for its claimed benefits.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.ashx

Good point. Thanks for the link

Does any of the other (castrol edge, pennzoil platinum) post those numbers like Mobil does on that chart?

It's interesting that most consider Mobil 1 AFE to be a step above regular Mobil 1....(even Mobil gives it 3 checks versus 2 for standard M1 on the back of the bottle)....when it has lower zinc and phosphorus in it's additive package?

Clevy: Are you saying you would use AFE 0w30 in a 5w20 app but not in a 30 wt. Euro app?

Does lower phos and zinc = inferior additive package? Surely there is more to it than those two numbers.

Once people understand that standard M1 5W-30 has a superior additive package to AFE,

Just because you have more of some ingredient, does not automatically mean it's superior. Additive technologies differ.

Also, there is more to an oil than just the additive package.

Not necessarily superior, just different. I haven't seen anything in UOA's that would suggest to me AFE is inferior in any way either. In fact you could probably make a case for the opposite.

The Mobil 1 that will likely get me to bite is the EP version though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Once people understand that standard M1 5W-30 has a superior additive package to AFE,

Just because you have more of some ingredient, does not automatically mean it's superior. Additive technologies differ.

Also, there is more to an oil than just the additive package.

Yes, of course you are correct. Perhaps I should have been more specific in relating the facts of the data i.e., significantly more phos and zinc than categorizing it as "superior". But with 26,000 posts here, you have participated in more than your fair share of discussions on the pros and cons of various additives. I haven't seen any that would call less of these two "better".

Last edited:
But with 26,000 posts here, you have participated in more than your fair share of discussions on the pros and cons of various additives. I haven't seen any that would call less of these two "better".

Well, over the years, there has been a push towards reducing additive levels, primarily in an effort to prolong the life of emissions equipment. Yet, despite that, most of us think that today's oils are better than they've ever been. Food for thought.

Originally Posted By: pbm

It's interesting that most consider Mobil 1 AFE to be a step above regular Mobil 1....(even Mobil gives it 3 checks versus 2 for standard M1 on the back of the bottle)....when it has lower zinc and phosphorus in it's additive package?

Clevy: Are you saying you would use AFE 0w30 in a 5w20 app but not in a 30 wt. Euro app?

That's what I was trying to say yes.
From what ive learned European oils need an HTHS of 3.5. Afe is less than that. That alone would be a cause for concern for me.
But yeah. I have no problem using afe in any American made vehicle. No sweat.
European engines are different. Their certs are different and so on,so I'd err on the side of caution and use what they say. It's not like it costs any extra over the afe line.

Clevy: Are you saying you would use AFE 0w30 in a 5w20 app but not in a 30 wt. Euro app?[/quote]

That's what I was trying to say yes.
From what ive learned European oils need an HTHS of 3.5. Afe is less than that. That alone would be a cause for concern for me.
But yeah. I have no problem using afe in any American made vehicle. No sweat.
European engines are different. Their certs are different and so on,so I'd err on the side of caution and use what they say. It's not like it costs any extra over the afe line. [/quote]

Gotcha...I'm glad I picked up a few 5 qt. jugs at the AZ 'clearance'....I'll use them in one of my Japanese/Korean motors...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The Mobil 1 that will likely get me to bite is the EP version though.

IF XOM ever makes a high VI 0W-30 EP, formulated like their 0W-20 EP, I will DEFINITELY try it!
thumbsup2.gif

(But, I am NOT holding my breath for this.
frown.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back