Large SUV's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
The rise of the SUV is likely more closely tied to the unit profits the manufacturers could get from them combined with a "public wants what the public gets" type of consumerism. "Choice" might be a qualified term here. I'm all for bringing back the big station wagons myself.

Well the rise of the suv was due to cafe. The fleet fuel mileage average for cars , caused the big station wagons to go away. Whats left for hauling kids dogs and all stuff that goes along with it. The Suv.

I have the avalanche. I use it to tow a medium size travel trailer. I can tell you that a large 78 buick station wagon tows and handles a medium travel trailer better that my higher center of gravity avalanche. but you can't buy really large station wagon.
Ditch the cafe standards and let the market bear out what cars are popular.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
My wife would probably like a new Escalade.

And I believe I received a $4,000 off coupon the other day from Cadillac.

The solution to the problem is to have more vehicles.

Own gas guzzling large/powerful vehicles for when you "need" them.

Then have a miserly fuel sipping car or two for when just getting there is the goal.

Then you can use the money you save on gasoline to offset the additional insurance and car payment costs you incur.

Very good post. Problem is, most people won't do this. They'll buy the 10 MPG gas hog and use it for their daily driver, then bich and moan when gas prices are high....the intelligence (or I should say the lack thereof) of the car buying public never ceases to amaze...

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Well the rise of the suv was due to cafe. The fleet fuel mileage average for cars , caused the big station wagons to go away. Whats left for hauling kids dogs and all stuff that goes along with it. The Suv.

I have the avalanche. I use it to tow a medium size travel trailer. I can tell you that a large 78 buick station wagon tows and handles a medium travel trailer better that my higher center of gravity avalanche. but you can't buy really large station wagon.
Ditch the cafe standards and let the market bear out what cars are popular.

I think it is more to do with the section 179 tax deduction for vehicles over 6000lbs that the self employed can claim.

In 2003 this was increased to 100% of the cost instead of 24%. It lasted for 3 years or so. It was recently reintroduced for the 2011 tax year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnovack/...mw-or-cadillac/

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: rockydee
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: MCompact
You have to love all of the self-righteous busybodies who want to tell people how to live- what to eat, what to drive, etc....

I desperately hope the whole bunch of bunch of hand-wringing bedwetters are condemned to eternal torment.

Buy/drive whatever the the heck you want- it's none of my business whatsoever!
All I ask is that you accord me the same courtesy.

X a million! Used to be a concept called freedom of choice. The entire "busybody what someone else is doing" thing is politically driven and has a clear agenda of homogenization...

Yea baby. Last time I checked I was living in the US of A. If I can afford it and I want it, I buy it. That's what busting my butt my whole life workin hard affords me. The last thing you'll ever hear me tell someone is the car, truck, or SUV they bought was a waste of money.-RD

Total agreement.

Me too. If you like it and can afford it them by all means buy it. OTOH if you can't afford it don't buy it, and that's where problems arise. I sold a lot of cars back when I was in car sales, and I was amazed how my people had no business borrowing money. They were always the people buying the big SUV's or the more expensive cars on the lots, they didn't care. In fact I walked into the F&I managers office and remember a conversation between a customer and his wife when she told him he couldn't afford the payments. His reply was "if they can find the car they can have it back, trust me babe they ain't gonna find it." I heard a lot of conversations along those lines. That mentality bothers me not the size of the vehicle a person buys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back