AirAsia flight missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sad. It's a Malaysia based airline.

From the BBC:

Quote:
An official with the transport ministry, Hadi Mustofa, told local media the plane lost contact over the Java Sea, which lies between Surabaya and Singapore.

He said the plane had asked for an unusual route before it lost contact.

I just got a news alert on the cell phone a few minutes ago. Talk about weird.

Good topic for discussion for an upcoming Coast-to-Coast show.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

It would be if Coast to Coast had any credibility other than entertainment value.

What is up with all these Asian flights going missing or getting shut down? You'd think they'd put some decent tracking devices on them by now. It's 2014 people! I can find my $600 iPhone ANYWHERE in the world from my laptop computer but they can't track a 100+ million dollar plane that is transporting human lives?! Unbelievable and unacceptable, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

It would be if Coast to Coast had any credibility other than entertainment value.

Doesn't stop the tin foil hat crowd. Maybe someone will use a Hollywood action movie as fact like the other thread.

Originally Posted By: Artem
What is up with all these Asian flights going missing or getting shut down? You'd think they'd put some decent tracking devices on them by now. It's 2014 people! I can find my $600 iPhone ANYWHERE in the world from my laptop computer but they can't track a 100+ million dollar plane that is transporting human lives?! Unbelievable and unacceptable, in my opinion.

Astro14 already addressed this- the short answer is it would be pretty expensive to equip them and set up the tracking network in the vast expanses of ocean that they fly over. Land based radar only goes out so far and sea based (military) radar is not limitless and only sporadic in their placement. Also classified at times. It's a big world out there!

Also- no, you can't find your phone anywhere in the world. Only places with cell reception. If you put that thing on a raft in the middle of the Pacific or Indian ocean, it's a gonner for sure. No infrastructure, no reception, no way to track it.

What is up with all these Asian flights going missing or getting shut down? You'd think they'd put some decent tracking devices on them by now.

It has transponders....unless in turned into another #370 Ghost Ship?

Why is it always Asian Airlines? Are they still looking for the other one?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Astro14 already addressed this- the short answer is it would be pretty expensive to equip them and set up the tracking network in the vast expanses of ocean that they fly over. Land based radar only goes out so far and sea based (military) radar is not limitless and only sporadic in their placement. Also classified at times. It's a big world out there!

Also- no, you can't find your phone anywhere in the world. Only places with cell reception. If you put that thing on a raft in the middle of the Pacific or Indian ocean, it's a gonner for sure. No infrastructure, no reception, no way to track it.

Good point...I didn't realize radar is limited! Transponders wouldn't matter...they would need something satellite based.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Good point...I didn't realize radar is limited! Transponders wouldn't matter...they would need something satellite based.

Most long-haul airliners already have satellite-based location reporting systems, but they typically only send location every ten minutes or so, as satellite bandwidth is expensive. AF447, for example, sent its location a few minutes before it crashed in the Atlantic, and that was used to begin the search for debris. MH370 couldn't send its position, as someone or something had disabled that system.

In this case, the aircraft was probably still in range of ground-based receivers, so probably wouldn't have been using the satellite system, if it was even installed on a short-range airliner.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Guess I will stick to driving. All I ever would want to go is in US/Canada.

I quote: "The annual risk of being killed in a plane crash for the average American is about 1 in 11 million. On that basis, the risk looks pretty small. Compare that, for example, to the annual risk of being killed in a motor vehicle crash for the average American, which is about 1 in 5,000."

Source: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/how-risky-is-flying.html

Admittedly, the chances of surviving a car crash are much better than the chances of surviving an airplane crash.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: CKN
Why is it always Asian Airlines? Are they still looking for the other one?

I want to hear any and all conspiracies.

Tin-foil hats we have? "Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Rahm Emanuel

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: andrewg

BALIwood movie... it's in Iran.
smile.gif

Doesn't stop the tin foil hat crowd. Maybe someone will use a Hollywood action movie as fact like the other thread.

BALIwood.

They gave the plane to the Shah.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

I want to hear any and all conspiracies.

Tin-foil hats we have? "Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Rahm Emanuel

You will, they just haven't posted yet.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back