2013 Ford Cmax hybrid oil recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
3 month ago I got new leftover 2013 ford cmax hybrid. manual calls for 5w-30 oil. Factory fill is motorcraft 5-w20 synthetic blend. In this car in order to achieve best mileage, it switches back and forth between ICE and electric drive. After let say 35 miles drive, when I check inside a fill cap it has a lot of moisture. It tells me that engine does not have enough run time to expel moisture from oil. Now it is a time for me to change oil. Should I use synthetic bland or pure synthetic oil? What is a better brand to use in hybrid engine. I am planning to run oil for 10K miles intervals.
Thank you for an advise.

If you are short tripping as it sounds I would use a high vi 0w20 such as tgmo

Or 5w 20 if it must be for warranty coverage

Last edited:
Using syn blend or a full syn won't matter for the 10k interval. I'd use the cheapest syn on sale.

Does the C-Max have the IOLM?

If it's not getting up to temp you might as well use a thinner oil. Probably more importantly I'd try to get it up to temp at least once a month, or do shorter OCI with a conventional.

It may just be the winter months you notice wax or condensation on the cap, then I wouldn't worry much about it.

Blend or full, for 10k might as well go full.

I'd use Castrol Edge withe Titanium. Castrol replaces some calcium with magnesium which helps retain the TBN better. Titanium is a great anti wear additive, protecting the engine from wear when the oil hasn't reached operating temp yet.

In the manual I have access to it calls for 5w20.
Full Synthetic would be best.
From the manual.
Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A, SAE 5W-20, GF5, and display the API Certification
Mark

Thank you everyone for the reply.
Based on what I see and been told by you, I would probably go with full synthetic with 10K intervals. Strangely, 2014 model year calls for 0-w20. There is no difference in ICE motor between 2013 and 2014 models.
That said, I will go with 0-w20 because how this engine works o-w20 might be better.
Thank you again

Toyota specifies their high viscosity index/high friction modifier engine oil for their hybrids because the engine cycles on and off and those features are very important,so if I were you I'd look for the same features in the oil because of the duty cycle.
I feel there are great oils out there that don't perform well because of the duty cycle. For example.
A truck engine,used for towing and always runs all day long and therefore only experiences a single warm up phase daily. In this application I'd use an oil with little to no VII,an antiquated straight grade woukd be near ideal.
Same truck. No towing. Multiple cold starts daily. Engine rarely runs for 20 minutes before shut off.
I'd use an oil with a high vi and high moly. Because of the many warm up phases it experiences the oil needs to be as thin as posdible at start up. It also doesn't run for long enough to activate the anti-wear package so because moly doesn't require heat to activate,and it leaves a layer on moving parts at shut down its a very important component in the formulation.
So as we can see 2 identical vehicles but due to operating conditions they would be suited for different oils.
This is why I feel the oil needs to be matched to operating conditions. And blanket statements are incorrect.
You've gotta make choices on a case by case basis.
Fine tuning the oil choice can make a big difference in fuel economy and as a preventative maintenance component choosing right can be the difference between valve deposits being so bad the they need to be physically cleaned either in a booth or manually with a wire brush,so knowing the small differences can save big money over time.
In my opinion.

Clevy,
Very good point. That is why I am thinking to use full synthetic with a robust add on package. Have not decided which one thou. Have to do more research. Primary candidates are Penzoil platinum, M1, and Castrol Edge with Titanium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back