America's Top Ten USDA Steakhouses, Experiances-Comments :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many may not realize it, but California is a huge ranching state, and as such, we have some great steakhouses. If you are in Fresno, make sure you hit Tahoe Joe's Famous Steakhouse. Steaks are cooked over Almond wood deep pit fire. If you are in the Central Coast, you should try the Far Western Tavern in Guadalupe, near Santa Maria. Steaks are cooked over red oak. Near Pismo Beach is F. McClintock's Saloon. Again, all meat cooked over red oak.

Outback sucks. Chains are usually not the best. It's the local, mom and pop places that always have the best food. Morton's and Ruth's Chris are great chains though. Problem I always found in Texas is that everything is a chain. Those people love to eat out! Everytime I go to visit my wife's family down their, it's always a chain/franchise. Maybe it's the area they are in. Awesome steak/BBQ though.

[ May 28, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Re: Ruth's Chris I've eaten twice at one in Phoenix and once at one in Las Vegas. They were exceptionally good each time. The friends I dragged along with me still talk about the place as an amazing experience.

With this background I talked a bunch of relatives into meeting me at a Ruth's Chris in Orlando Fl.
Major disappointment! Frankly it sucked and I was very embarrassed. I told the manager that I was very disappointed.

3 out of 4 times it has been great. (But I'll never go to the one in Orlando again!)

Usually Chains SUCK!

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

True story- Gross

Someone in a few towns over (nice town BTW) ate at an Outback. They ordered a steak and it didn't come out the way the person wanted it so they sent it back. After sending it back twice (I think) she finally ate some of it and then had the rest wrapped up. Later that night she got sick. She was a lawyer and had access to some labs. She had what she had taken home sampled by the lab and they found Urine on the steak. So, think twice before bitching and complaining about your food. This is a rich town too....

You guys are making em feel ill.

Can't get a decent steak around here for love nor money. The Galloping Grape used to do Buffalo (water buffalo), in a plum/port sauce...perfect, they changed hands, and substituted it for leather with soggy vegetables. CJs used to cook awesome steaks, dismemberred, and added to warm salads and wat not, but still nice steak. They changed hands, and it's now reminiscent of dismemberred shoe leather. O'Grady's had Gas grills, and you could buy huge steaks and cook them to your liking.....they decided to use "chefs" (to cut down on the number of grills in service), and now "steak is steak" Medium Rare and Well Done (me and my father in law) are interchangeable at the table.

Every now and then, I get a 2" T-Bone, and throw it on the forced induction hibachi, just to remember what steak tastes like.

But if you're going that way, I'd stop at the Hog'sBreath Cafe in Civic, or maybe the Lonestar in Penrith.

Disclaimer: My commentary about Outback has nothing to do with USA's remaining love for "things Aussie".

I think in general Outback is still sorta popular, but I don't think they are seeing the growth they had in the late 90's. In other words (IOW), a LOT of people went/go there for the lore (I did, 3 times) taste the meat....and say "*** was all the bloody hoopla about?".... (I find it strange that people still like the place...)

I think Morton's blows. I hate the whole spiel with the saran wrapped steaks at the beginning. I think it's trading on image and not quality.

Ruths' Chris is ~OK but overpriced.

Then you have Bobby Van's. You HAVE to get the porterhouse. Nothing else will do. The place makes Morton's look like McDonald's. They get their steak from the same place as Luger's in NYC.

Hey steak lovers, how many of you agree with me on this statement?

A good steak needs no steak sauce (such as A1 or HP) of any kind!

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Disclaimer: My commentary about Outback has nothing to do with USA's remaining love for "things Aussie".

No offence taken.

I'd be suprised if it had very much at all to do with things Aussie. There is one outaback steakhouse in Australia. We drove past it ever week while my Mother in Law was being treated for cancer (4 years ago). It started as a patch of dirt, and became a resteraunt.

If that was the seed for dozens of resteraunts worldwide, I'd be pretty surprised.

Ahh I heard about that chain. Outback is an Americans idea of what they think Oz is like. They have weird names for different items I believe? Shannow I went to Hogs Breath last week for a co-workers birthday. Awful!

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Ahh I heard about that chain. Outback is an Americans idea of what they think Oz is like. They have weird names for different items I believe? Shannow I went to Hogs Breath last week for a co-workers birthday. Awful!

Doonie and his wife were amused by Outback Steak Houses on his visit to the US.

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~bentons/

I haven't read the finished version, but his log as he made the trip had a blurb on Outback Steak Houses.

It's an interesting read, the US through the eyes of two Australians who toured the US on a 30 year old motorcycle.

A few years ago the Ruths Chris in San Antonio, TX was really nice. The food was excellent and the service was too. Picked us up at the hotel on the Riverwalk in a van and brought us back later. Expensive but a very nice experience.

Les

quote:

A good steak needs no steak sauce (such as A1 or HP) of any kind!

No. A good steak can be eaten without steak sauce, but steak sauce makes a good steak even better.

Mediocre or poor steaks need steak sauce.
JMO.

I like a little chipotle sauce with my steak!!!
blush.gif
mad.gif

To immortalize a famous cartoon character:

"My biscuits is burnin', my biscuits is burnin'...."

Yosemite Sam, in Roger Rabbit, 1990's (USA).

Hey guys after my long lazy hiatus I mark my return here.

A)Thanks for the replies.

B)Instead of switching to Red Line as your homework assignment I encourage any of yall to hit one of those locations and tell me what you think.

As Lumberg said some of those places make other steaks look like mac donalds.

The only part that sux is the bill at the end coupled with the fact the food was soo good and heavy your too drwosy to drive home
smile.gif

C)With Ruth Chris chain-o-rama it is a hit or miss since after all it is a franchise. As my dad tells me (aka steak connoisuer Sr.) says it wholly depends on the location.

Philadelphia may be a waste but Cancun is amazing according to one person i talked to.

Lumberg,

I will definately hit Bobby Van's next

D) Steak Sauces.

Can live with or without them
smile.gif
A1 is my personal favorite, Heinz 57 i do not mind, and im always open to other custom brews too.

Any Steak Sauce Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back