I don't like the WD-40 lube can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find my self moving away from the new style WD-40 can, with the built in spray tube, and back to another brand that still has the old school spray tip.

I agree that can is hard to use; my dad has one in his garage and I find myself grabbing the Kroil can instead. That's a much better thing to use anyway in most applications if what you want is actually lube and not water-displacement ("WD").

The aerosol can blows!!! Use the spray bottle, and thank god they have redesigned it!! (the old design you had to glue cardboard to the bottom to keep from knocking it over all the time)

Then just buy WD-40 by the gallon.

Does WD40 even have a purpose nowadays? I guess you can spray it on worms to attract fish.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Does WD40 even have a purpose nowadays? I guess you can spray it on worms to attract fish.
smile.gif

I'm also surprised those on a website devoted to lubricants consider wd-40 one. I only use it on garden tools. It does a good job of keeping shovels rust free. For anything else there is a better option, at least IMO.

My primary use for WD40, and I have not found anything better than it -- softening and then dissolving/removing thermal paste/compound from heatsinks and processors. A little on a cotton swab or cotton ball then finish it up with some rubbing alcohol and we have super clean mating surfaces ready for new paste.

I've been really liking the new SuperTech penetrating oil. Works good and has a nice lighter fluid smell.

I don't think I'll need to go back to WD-40 with their high price.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've been really liking the new SuperTech penetrating oil. Works good and has a nice lighter fluid smell.

I had no idea they made this. Is it with the brake cleaner and starter fluid?

what I remember sitting on a shelf in my grandfathers garage
vintage-wd-40.jpg

what I use to see on the shelf's
$(KGrHqR,!kwFCotofP7mBRDr6l5BGg~~60_35.JPG

what I see now on the shelf's
mRO7lmREb6bEWeeg_5JfT5w.jpg

boy, how times change. I guess the new design of WD-40 allows controlled pinpoint accuracy, so did the straw...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I had no idea they made this. Is it with the brake cleaner and starter fluid?

Yes, in a black and blue can. With a red stripe going diagonal down the can, its simply called " lubricant" its less than half of what wd 40 goes for

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buckz6319
I find my self moving away from the new style WD-40 can, with the built in spray tube, and back to another brand that still has the old school spray tip.

+1 Totally agree, I've thrown two cans in the trash cuz I can't get them to work.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
smile.gif

I'm also surprised those on a website devoted to lubricants consider wd-40 one. I only use it on garden tools. It does a good job of keeping shovels rust free. For anything else there is a better option, at least IMO.

our local ford dealer recommends spraying it into the lock cylinders before freezing weather to dry out the mechanism.

no more frozen locks! my old Hyundai the the lock on drivers door would ALWAYS freeze before i learned this trick. (and it didn't have remote locks)

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: bepperb
dlundblad said:
smile.gif

our local ford dealer recommends spraying it into the lock cylinders before freezing weather to dry out the mechanism.

no more frozen locks! my old Hyundai the the lock on drivers door would ALWAYS freeze before i learned this trick. (and it didn't have remote locks)

This is not a bad use of it, but there's a better lube for that. Tri-Flow. It will do a much better job than WD at lubing and preventing wear over time. I started hitting all the vehicle's locks with it once a year since a Locksmith I knew was passionate about the point. For really cold temps, I've heard locksmiths recommend LockEase over Tri-Flow, but I have no experience w/it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
That pos broke the first time I knocked the can off my workbench onto the floor.
I have had it happen to more than WD 40 cans!!!

The new can? -----1

I've used ground up aspirin and WD-40 on my ankle to relieve inflammation in my ankle. Laugh if you like, it works. The first time I tried this was in Alaska when the weather closed in and we could not leave camp for a week. This was suggested by a local that was surprised that I had never tried it before.

Did the old WD-40 formula smell more like kerosene? I was working at an older gentlemans house when he handed me an original blue can and it definitely smells different than the newer WD40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back