Vavoline 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just received 16qts of valvoline 10w40 synthetic motorcyle oil from a neighbor who is moving. I do not have a motorcycle but was wondering would it be any problem dumping this stuff into my 1992 s-15 Jimmy (192K miles). Currently use M1 10w30 HM synthetic. Oweners manual recommmened is SL 5w30. Found following specs for oil on Valvoline website. Would 5k oil change interval be okaApprovals/Performance Levels

Viscosity Grade/Other
Meets or Exceeds API SF/SG/SJ
SAE 10W-40, SAE 20W-50
Meets or Exceeds JASO MA2
SAE 10W-40, SAE 20W-50

Vis @ 100°C (cSt)
Vis @ 40°C (cSt)
Viscosity Index
Spec Gravity @ 60°F
Density (lbs/gal)
Total Base No.

Flash COC (°C)
Pour Point (°C) max
CCS cP (°C)
6200(-250C)

MRV TP-1 cP (°C)
38000(-300C)
Noack % off @ 250°C
Sulfated Ash, wt.%
Zinc/Phosphorus, wt.%
0.112/0.100
Calcium/Sodium, wt.%
0.188/0.052

I wouldn't use it. It will provide lubrication but will lower your fuel mileage being that it's not friction modified and is a thicker viscosity. Sell it cheap if you plan on having a garage sale.

Up here in WI, the only 1992 Jimmys on the road are rusty death traps. If that description is accurate for you, run with confidence.
whistle.gif

I don't think API SL existed in 1992.
Your Jimmy probably called for an API SJ, a spec that this oil meets.
I'd run it during warmer weather, although I don't think that you see enough cold in GA that it would even matter.
I'd doubt that you'd notice any loss in fuel economy either and at current gas prices, who cares?
We spent the night in a motel just south of Atlanta about ten years ago and below freezing temperatures were reached overnight.
We were having breakfast the following morning and had a nice view of a little patch of ice on a small hill.
Watching the Georgians trying to naviagte it was truly hilarious. Even my wife, who thinks that the Lord made AWD Subarus just so that she could feel at ease in a bad snow, found it pretty amusing.

A10WartHog,

Originally Posted By: A10WartHog
Hi all,

Just received 16qts of valvoline 10w40 synthetic motorcyle oil

[...]

Viscosity Grade/Other
Meets or Exceeds API SF/SG/SJ
SAE 10W-40, SAE 20W-50
Meets or Exceeds JASO MA2
SAE 10W-40, SAE 20W-50

Are you sure this is JASO MA2? The only Valvoline 10W-40 I have seen seeling in Europe has only two specs:

- API SG
- JASO MA

As some have mentioned since this oil is designed for motorcycles with wet clutch it does not have friction modifiers to prevent clutch from slipping. I would not put this oil in the car engine unless you really don't care about it's longevity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wouldn't use it. It will provide lubrication but will lower your fuel mileage being that it's not friction modified and is a thicker viscosity. Sell it cheap if you plan on having a garage sale.

It might lower your fuel economy by 2%, and you'll spend more money than that on buying motor oil rather than using this free stuff. Pour in a can of MoS2 if you want to add something slippery.

Use it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back