Power steering circulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much does a rack and pinion setup circulate? Just a bit, and only at lock?

I did a drain and fill on just the reservoir on my Toyotas; fluid looked kinda brownish but I suspect that is just the color of OEM stuff. I used Maxlife to fill. 0.2L in the Tundra and 0.25L in the Camry, give or take. But after a couple of days of driving the tank seems to be as red as when I first filled.

Since I think there is but a liter in there I'd think it would be a dull red by now.

When I do my Toyota, I remove the return line, connect a 3/8 hose, turn the wheels lock-to-lock to push the old fluid out, its about twice as much fluid as using the turkey baster method. You can also start the engine and pump new fluid through the rack as a flush.

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
When I do my Toyota, I remove the return line, connect a 3/8 hose, turn the wheels lock-to-lock to push the old fluid out, its about twice as much fluid as using the turkey baster method. You can also start the engine and pump new fluid through the rack as a flush.

+1. This is the way to do it.

Here's a link to a detailed DIY:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-and-es330/230152-power-steering-flush.html

MaxLife is good in there, but .2l sounds like a small amount. Last time I flushed I think it was like 3/4 of a quart total to get pretty red out of the drain tube, clear plastic makes it easy to see when you are done. A typical PS system is usually between 3/4 and 1 quart total capacity.

Looks like a neat way to do it..but I think I still think the baster method is good enough..although i know this is BITOG!!

Supton,

I do same as you did and just do it every oil change. I like the detailed method but I cant see myself bothering as I feel the steering is fine. Does your Camry mention to do a flush or anything with the P/S fluid? My 07 Corolla doesnt say anything about P/S flushes etc.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Supton,

I do same as you did and just do it every oil change. I like the detailed method but I cant see myself bothering as I feel the steering is fine. Does your Camry mention to do a flush or anything with the P/S fluid? My 07 Corolla doesnt say anything about P/S flushes etc.
Do it Rolla. You won't regret it.
The additives deplete just like in ATF. In most Toyoyta's the PS fluid is ATF I believe.

Had 2 different Toyota Service Manuals(thick as a phone book) 1 for Corolla and 1 for Echo neither mentioned PS fluid change. Did em anyway, it's a BITOG thing.

Last edited:
Manual doesn't indicate anything, and honestly given how many cars never have anything done yet 200k I feel it's a bit OCD to worry much about it. At least until it seemed like there was no circulation. If that is the case I'll redo. Eventually.

Originally Posted By: supton
Manual doesn't indicate anything, and honestly given how many cars never have anything done yet 200k I feel it's a bit OCD to worry much about it.

I think you are misunderstanding how the manual is written. It is written to defer critical maintenance as long as possible to get it out of the period most owners/lessees experience so it reduces the accounting 'Total Cost of Ownership." If you are not familiar with this accounting concept, read up on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_cost_of_ownership

The manual is designed to get the car out of warranty/lease period with minimal cost, not to maximize it's useable service life.

The real issue with replacing .2L of a 1L/qt system is you are still leaving a very substantial amount of dirty and sheared fluid behind. And PS shears from the mechanical insult from the system. If you want to keep the car, change it. If you want to fob it off, do what gets you by.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Looks like a neat way to do it..but I think I still think the baster method is good enough..although i know this is BITOG!!

IF you're going the sucking method, use the pump from a TALL shampoo bottle.

It does not dribble out AND it goes deeper.
thumbsup2.gif

Sucking method sucks, seriously!!

Return line flushes WITHOUT starting engine is the best way to accomplish a clean exchange - I am not a fan of flushes WITH the engine running, the fluid on a 3/8" line comes off quite fast to not screwup things.

Most PS systems hold 1Q +/- few oz, it is more important to flush every 60K to keep it clean.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Manual doesn't indicate anything, and honestly given how many cars never have anything done yet 200k I feel it's a bit OCD to worry much about it.

I think you are misunderstanding how the manual is written. It is written to defer critical maintenance as long as possible to get it out of the period most owners/lessees experience so it reduces the accounting 'Total Cost of Ownership." If you are not familiar with this accounting concept, read up on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_cost_of_ownership

The manual is designed to get the car out of warranty/lease period with minimal cost, not to maximize it's useable service life.

The real issue with replacing .2L of a 1L/qt system is you are still leaving a very substantial amount of dirty and sheared fluid behind. And PS shears from the mechanical insult from the system. If you want to keep the car, change it. If you want to fob it off, do what gets you by.

Uh, did you read all of my post? Cripes, in our family I can think of several cars that have never had the PS reservoir cap touched yet went well past 200k and ten years. My Jetta is nearing 11 and over 300k and I know it was never touched.

I agree, change early, change often. But let's call OCD what it is, and call overkill when it is appropriate.

How much does a rack and pinion setup circulate? Just a bit, and only at lock?

I did a drain and fill on just the reservoir on my Toyotas; fluid looked kinda brownish but I suspect that is just the color of OEM stuff. I used Maxlife to fill. 0.2L in the Tundra and 0.25L in the Camry, give or take. But after a couple of days of driving the tank seems to be as red as when I first filled.

Since I think there is but a liter in there I'd think it would be a dull red by now.

The power steering pump is a positive displacement hydraulic pump, and is always circulating at a healthy rate. Depending on the system, the reservoir is not part of the circulating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back