2014 Ducati Hypermotard SP oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2014 Ducati Hypermotard SP with 1300 miles on it.
There are two oils that meet JASO MA2 specs that I am considering.
1) Ducati recommends Shell Advance Ultra 4 T 10W-40 (hard to find and $76.00 a 4L jug)

2) Motul 7100 4T 10W-40 (easy to find and 51.00 a 4L jug)

Do you guys think the Motul 7100 is just a good as the Shell Advance Ultra ?

Thanks in advance.

Rotella T 15w-40, used it in all my bikes no problem and easy to find. I also found the super tech 15w-40 works pretty well. Just my two cents

I don't have the answer. Mosul 300v is the oil of choice for many bikes. The 7100 seems to be a step down. Neither manufacturer provides enough info to make a valid comparison.

Mobil 1 10 W -40 hs the exact same numbers as 300v.

Originally Posted By: Dieselsrule
1) Ducati recommends Shell Advance Ultra 4 T 10W-40 (hard to find and $76.00 a 4L jug)

Thanks in advance.

Sadly with Shell's refusal to bring the Shell Advanced M/C oils stateside VOA/UOA's are hard to come by (but can be found) to draw comparisons. I know the owner of a Ducati dealership in Southern California that does the initial fill at their dealership with Motul 300V, but when comparing the 7100 to their 300V via Motul's Product Data Sheets there's not a drastic difference between the two in regards to viscosity index, TBN, and flash point. Either one of the oils will fully protect your Ducati, it primarily depends on which brand you'd prefer and the cost you're willing to pay.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

An oil's specs on paper are a very small part of the equation. I would not put M1's moto oil on the same pedestal as 300V. I'm sure M1 is a good motorcycle oil, but 300V is going to be the superior choice especially for extreme uses.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Cujet

An oil's specs on paper are a very small part of the equation. I would not put M1's moto oil on the same pedestal as 300V. I'm sure M1 is a good motorcycle oil, but 300V is going to be the superior choice especially for extreme uses.

Are you 100% sure about that? I live 3 miles from PBIR (used to be Moroso) racetrack. I'm there as often as I can be, either as crew or spectator. I even occasionally drive the track, been a while though.

Many guys swear by the M1 motorcycle racing oils. In fact, I'm using it in my toys with great results. M1 does contain about 100PPM more ZDDP than 300V. Also, the UOA results I've seen show exactly the same performance from either oil. That's no surprise, because they are functionally the same. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3481549/Motul_300V_10W40_double_ester,

In fact the M1 10W-40 is often available at AutoZone and Advance Auto, for $9/Qt. At that price, you can change the oil twice as often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Analyzer
Originally Posted By: Dieselsrule

Thanks in advance.

Sadly with Shell's refusal to bring the Shell Advanced M/C oils stateside VOA/UOA's are hard to come by (but can be found) to draw comparisons. I know the owner of a Ducati dealership in Southern California that does the initial fill at their dealership with Motul 300V, but when comparing the 7100 to their 300V via Motul's Product Data Sheets there's not a drastic difference between the two in regards to viscosity index, TBN, and flash point. Either one of the oils will fully protect your Ducati, it primarily depends on which brand you'd prefer and the cost you're willing to pay.

With all the distributors and products they sale in the USA I'm amazed Shell hasn't made Advanced Ultra more available. I also think it reflects bad on Ducati for not ensuring all their dealers have access to the oil they recommend on a sticker next to the oil cap. Instead of hunting Shell Ultra I will use either 300V or 7100 Motul.

I hear ya Dieselrule, I find it extremely odd/counterproductive that Ducati recommends the use of the Shell Advance oils (as you said stickered next to their oil fill cap) but Shell won't allow it stateside. I don't know if they fear it wouldn't be competitive sales wise to other more established brands or for other reasons, but they could at least have the loyalty of Ducati dealers and riders! I think it would be smart to at least sell it at Ducati dealerships and use as their factory fills and have a strong bond there, smilar to how Motorex and KTM has teamed up together.

I've looked just about everywhere and have not been able to find Shell Ultra 4T anywhere. I wouldn't hesitate to use Motul, M1, Redline, or T6/SRT in that bike. They should all provide more than adequate protection. For the price and availability I would probably run the M1. I personally run T6/SRT in my Honda Interceptor, or the M1 when I can find it on sale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back