Honda 5.5hp dies with choke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help with a Troybuilt 27 ton log splitter. Has a Honda GVC 160 5.5hp.
Would run but die, I disassembled carb and cleaned it as there was some gum and the main fuel delivery Jet where the float valve operates was partially clogged.

I cleaned that and blew all orifices I could see with carb cleaner. Reassembled and engine will stay running but if you open the choke fully it will die. Did I miss cleaning something?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

on edit: Title should say dies with choke open. So Engine will only run with choke fully closed.

Last edited:
Bad gas, probably gasohol with excess moisture. How fresh? And did you drain the gas tank?

The response above suggesting Seafoam is spot on. It has cleared up bad running with more small carbureted motors than any other product.

Sounds like you've got some main jet pluggage still. Have you priced mail-order replacement carbs for this engine? Might be best to order a new one and maybe try to clean this one up as a working spare to keep or sell.

EDit- good call on the fuel 4wheel-. Simple stuff is often overlooked.

Last edited:
That language is ambigious to me?

So the engine dies if you have the choke on?

That's normal.

The engine only runs with the choke on? that's usually a clogged carb.

+1 If it runs after being warmed up with the choke on, then that is a problem.
Originally Posted By: Rand
That language is ambigious to me?

So the engine dies if you have the choke on?

That's normal.

The engine only runs with the choke on? that's usually a clogged carb.

Since it runs you MAY be in luck. Run some Seafoam or Techron in it and hopefully it will clean it out. Buying a new carb is just a stupid.

engine starts with the choke on, but when I try to take the choke off it dies.

going to drain the old fuel as recommended and see what happens, i'll check in shortly or later this afternoon

thanks

GCV 160 right?

Sounds like the main jet somehow isn't supplying enough fuel, given that you mean that it's running well on full throttle with the choke activated. If you mean idle, you need to check for idle fuel supply. Some engines need fuel from both main and idle to run well wide open so just check both.
So follow the details in this video and you will be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3S_7XpUioE&noredirect=1

that is a great video lars, thanks...

so I started draining fuel and it looked good. I had some mmo, so I added a shot of that to the 1\2 tank of fuel it had remaining. fired it up let it run a while then I started spraying carb cleaner into the carb and so now it is running better and with the choke off.

hopefully I dislodged the junk on the jet or where ever it was I missed. going to let it run a few more times until I run all the mmo out and add some clean fuel.

thanks all, i'll report back if I have any more problems

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Has a Honda GVC 160 5.5hp. Did I miss something?

Yes those carburetors are only like $15 brand new in the box. No shop in their right mind takes time dissembling and cleaning them. On the GVC/GC Honda series, just replace the carb and get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back