Simple to service car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to rebuild/restore an older car that would be simple to service at home, eliminate complicated electronics and gadgets that aren't required to move down the road, avoid smog control checks, have good parts availability and have a dependable daily driver what would it be?

W123 MB diesel. Especially in SOCAL where lots of great original ones can be found. That's where I bought my '82 from.

Model A Ford. By your definition, nothing has truly been and improvement since. All that electronic stuff seldom needs fixing, and with an OBD port, it tells you when it is broken. New stuff is better. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: expat
Air cooled VW

Those are simple to work on, but I hated the two I owned (1964 and 1974 bugs). Dangerous in a wreck too, but good gas mileage. I would not want one as a daily driver, esp in the winter.

In Cali, if it doesn't have obdii, isn't it still subject to sniffer tests? Visual inspection too?

Since nothing rusts out there, probably anything RWD sold in large quantity. Domestic. I don't think even the 80's smogged carb'd ones were too bad. A TBI system gains engine life with near carb simplicity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you were to rebuild/restore an older car that would be simple to service at home, eliminate complicated electronics and gadgets that aren't required to move down the road, avoid smog control checks, have good parts availability and have a dependable daily driver what would it be?

With a daily driver, I would be concerned about safety rather than simple to service. Newer cars are safer. Some more than others.

As far a simple to service, maybe look at seldom needing service instead.

Camry would be on the top of my list.

W123 Mercedes or Toyota pickup.

When the world ends cockroaches will be driving around with AK47's in manual 240D's.

A side benefit is when in good tune they are still substantial nice driving cars.

Last edited:
My '63 Chrysler Newport is still quite reliable and used near daily in all weather. '57-'59 Fords were also quite user friendly to work on.

Originally Posted By: Olas
My Scirocco. It's a mk1 golf platform and as easy as pie

Yep.

They have just enough modern, but simple electronics to make the cars very reliable, but easy and cheap to repair, there are scads of parts available for the MKI Golf/Jetta/Scirocco including OEM which are also very high quality and yet fairly inexpensive.

1st generation saturn. Just have to have a catalytic convertor and functioning gas cap to be legal here.

Diagnostics are as easy as jamming a paper clip in the port and googling results.

And parts are available.

I assume this isn't functioning in a vacuum, and we can still go online to forums to get answers we ourselves can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back