Stuck crank pulley bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys. Update. I was off today so I sprayed it with pb blaster this morning. Again around 2. Got me another impact socket and put it on my breaker bar with a 3 inch extension so I could get a little movement room. Had to stand on the breaker bar and pull the car towards me but it sounded like a gunshot and the bolt came loose. Upon inspection, no damage to threads or head of bolt and the threads were clean. So no random shop put lock tite on it. I appreciate everyone giving me ideas on here. I ended up just throwing down with the car and ended up coming out on top. Woo that was fun.

Congrats!

Those things are *&*(&#ers. I couldn't get the one off on my Civic, so I paid someone to do the job. This was after realizing that I'd need to buy bigger breaker bars and sockets b/c I broke a couple extensions during my effort. Crazy to see how much those things can twist!

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
……..Got me another impact socket and put it on my breaker bar with a 3 inch extension so I could get a little movement room. Had to stand on the breaker bar and pull the car towards me but it sounded like a gunshot and the bolt came loose. ……….

Was this a 3/4" drive socket and bar?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: Shannow
My L67 Caprice, I tried the bump on the starter, impact wrench etc.

Fainally, I cut a serp belt, wrapped it around the pulley a couple times, and use it as a brake for a breaker bar and a length of water pipe.

Came off with no fuss after many many failed attempts.
On a Honda, you buy that pulley lock tool.

Few years ago, there was an internet reference where a guy took the corded impact wrench and hold it for more than eight and half minute. He timed it and the Honda crank belt came off. I don't recall if it was a Dewalt or HF wrench. With the corded, you never run out of oomph if you are patient.

I would think if he was using that tool nonstop for 8 minutes and 30 seconds, it would exceed the duty cycle of the tool, and wear it out quickly.

three and half minute as per the next reply; still an eternity when you are talking about an impact tool!

Originally Posted By: Winterpeg
If it took that much to get the bolt off
you should replace said bolt with a new one.

That shouldn't be necessary. The old bolt can be reused unless it displays obvious signs of physical damage. I suspect the OP's problem was that he simply wasn't applying enough break-free torque.

Warning:
If a new bolt is used, torquing is a TWO-STAGE process using TWO different torque figures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back