bad battery buying experience at AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the $50 of on a $126 battery at APP. Sounded like a good deal. The first battery they offered was very dusty, had removed date sticker, and was dead (less than 12V). I refused it. They said they had only one, but can get another a day later.
The second one was half dead (12.2V IIRC) and had 2/2014 sticker. I took it because I needed it badly. However, at home, I load tested it and it was in poor shape. Probably set discharged and sulfated. Returned it next day and the counter guy was not happy when I returned.

Consider yourself warned.

I bought a battery from AAP and it too had a heavy accumulation of dust, the production tag said it was over a year old. I had to charge it and it worked OK for about a year and started going dead. AAP replaced it with a fresh battery and no problems since.. It was an odd BCI size with little demand for my Benz.

Normally I get a Wal-Mart battery because I have had no issues with them and the prices are good.

What car do you have ?
Some batteries are not in damand and sit on the shelf.

I always tell the AAP employees that I will pick my battery so I can get a 'fresh' one.

What kind of a test did you run? Just a voltmeter? Not a great test, and you need a very accurate DVM to do the test.

But the date sticker would have been all I needed to not purchase the battery.

I go to Walmart and get the MAXX and go to the back of the rack and look at date codes. Of almost any place that sells batteries, they go through them the fastest.

However still could be a problem for an odd size.

Best solution is two batteries as in my pickup.

Last edited:
Good for you, they could have run a scam. Like supplied your first battery from the core pile and stolen your new one.

Sounds like you had a not so great experience.

Every AAP battery that I have bought has always had a sticker within 2 months of the date of purchase. However, I do have the advantage of having an AAP distribution center within 5 miles from my house.

Sounds like you either had a application that was somewhat rare or you went to a low volume store.

I would have gone to another location.

Good margins on most TBAs. Funny when I pointed out an older date code during a prospective battery purchase.
"Oh, is that what that means?"

Thanks but no thanks. Walked out in search of fresher stock.

1) the AAP deals can be done from the store from a smartphone
2) The AAP deals can be changed from store to store if needed.
3) You can ask the storekeep for the specific battery of your choice from the shelf.

Ive done all three.

As a former drug store soda jerk and do-everything young pup fella I learned about 'rotating stock' so I like to generally buy a battery like I do with milk-from the back row

I have a certain hub store AAP that I generally buy from-I'll have the manager check the date code & pull it for me BEFORE I order it-there's been numerous occasions where I've ordered online for store pickup & they haven't even had the part I needed in stock (from different AAPs other than the hub one).

I bought battery from aap. I check the date of manufacturer stamp. I had no bad experience. First poster should not taken the battery that was from february.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What kind of a test did you run?

100A analog load tester:

image_24840.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back