My first domestic car and my first impresions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
By "domestic", I mean US-designed as the place of assembly doesn't matter anymore.
The car is 2003 Saturn Ion 2 sedan with 135000 miles for my kid.
We are working to bring the car up to speed (so to say).
So far my experience was with Fiat, Yugo, Datsun, Renault, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, and Toyota. Generally these various cars were easy to work on and one doesn't need to read manuals to do the maintenance on those.

1. Unfamiliar design of the tire lugnut wrench that also serves as crank for the jack. Heavy, clunky and non-ergonomic design. Tire change is a major effort with those tools. It took me forever just to raise just one corner. Fortunately, my son suggested using a drill to drive the jack and that worked indeed. I used electric impact drill and that enabled us to check/flush the brakes and rotate tires. It took us whole lot longer than me alone doing it myself on one of my previous cars.

2. The drain plugs for engine and tranny are not in the places I expect. Hard to find. Same with tranny dipstick and oil filter. Still looking for ways to drain coolant.

3. I have no idea how to replace the burn out bulbs in front. Major frame pieces are behind the headlamps. I think headlamps have to be removed.

4. The alternator/belt replacement will be a major work requiring removing air filter box. There is hardly any access there to to relieve belt tensioner. This is 4-cylinder for crying out load. There are tons of empty space in the engine bay on the driver's side due to battery in the trunk (I like that). They should have put airbox there, duh.

5. Various plastic pieces in the engine bay and outside are distorted/waved or crumbling from heat. Granted, the car is from sunny Florida (yay, no rust), but still surprised.

6. The weird coil design with individual coils fused in one block. If one coil fails, the whole module has to be replaced.

I'm sure there will be some more surprises later.
I didn't drive it much yet to get driving impressions, but doesn't seem to be nimble like similar cars in the class.

Sounds like typical American-designed old GM. Trying to get folks to buy a larger/more profitable car no matter what by making the cheapest car in the lineup a penalty box. And also making it easy to assemble but difficult to service.

If the headlights need to come out, the bolts should be easy to access. On my old Buick, it was two 10mm bolts on the grille side of the headlights and then the headlights pivoted out. There also may be access through the wheel wells, and cutouts in the frame to allow for bulbs to be replaced.

The Cobalt/Ion were outdated when they launched. Just another in a long line of disappointing smaller cars from GM.

I have a similar experience with the care and feeding of the Rat. It is much battered and rusted. It runs like a watch, but everything I touch breaks off or crumbles. Owning old BMWS kept me in a cozy spot where I have many parts and much knowledge on hand. But a 20 yr old Ford is a totally different can of worms. I now get parts from Auto Zone or on line. Cars are designed to be assembled. They have been since Ford developed the assembly line. That Rat is an assembly of widgets. Every one of them designed to do their job only and for a few yrs only.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

4. The alternator/belt replacement will be a major work requiring removing air filter box. There is hardly any access there to to relieve belt tensioner.

This car has the electric power steering assist I think? The belt is very short and down low.

The air box has to come out but its very easy. More significantly, you have to remove the motor mount that is below it. Not because the belt goes around it, like in some larger cars, but because its in the way. Then you use the thin belt tool (Lisle makes one, for example) to relive the tensioner. Again, very easy.

The motor mount is the biggest obstacle since you need to properly support the engine first.

To be fair, my "import" lacks a dipstick on its automatic. Iirc my 2000 Saturn had a trans dipstick on its stick trans.

All vehicles are disposable. Some more than others. I tend to think of Toyota/Honda as prime examples, due to their home laws.

Chrysler Corp., generally speaking, is the most serviceable carline I have owned. They were designed with the mechanic in mind. I'm sure there are exceptions, though. BTW I have worked on many Japanese cars that were very difficult to work on. I have a Chevy Cavalier I bought new in 2002 and handed down to my son, and it has never been to the shop for anything. No repairs whatsoever other than maintenance. The seats are ungodly, though.

If you want fun, you should watch the timing belt job on my Jetta. It's only every 80k but when the engine lift comes out to support the engine you have to wonder if they really viewed it as something an owner would do more than once or twice.

The ION was regarded as a dissapointing car at introduction.
It does have the excellent Ecotec engine, although I'm not sure that the early timing chain problems had been resolved by the '03 MY.
This sounds like a car with relatively poor service access, although there are much worse out there.
Why would you even bother with the supplied jack when a floor jack or at least a cheap bottle jack should be a part of every DIY garage? The supplied jack need not be an ergonomic work of art, since it's intended for emergency tire changes only and many cars go through their entire lives with the spare never having seen daylight nor touched the ground.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Most American cars don't even *have* a drain plug for the transmission!

Right. This car has the Japanese Aisin transmission. This was one of major points I considered before buying.

Originally Posted By: supton
If you want fun, you should watch the timing belt job on my Jetta. It's only every 80k but when the engine lift comes out to support the engine you have to wonder if they really viewed it as something an owner would do more than once or twice.

I made sure to stay away from timing belt.

Is the engine oil drain plug on a 2003 Ecotec engine not in the same place as all the other years?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Why would you even bother with the supplied jack when a floor jack or at least a cheap bottle jack should be a part of every DIY garage?

Yeah, I need to buy one of those. The thing is most import jacks were a breeze to use, so I never needed to use one of those.

Drain plug?
Many newer cars don't even have a dipstick for the ATF and this didn't start with US designs.
IMHO, the lack of a drain plug isn't an issue except for those automatics that also lack a pan.
If the tranny has a pan, you can drop it to drain the fluid and then change the filter, which should be changed anyway.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Why would you even bother with the supplied jack when a floor jack or at least a cheap bottle jack should be a part of every DIY garage?

Yeah, I need to buy one of those. The thing is most import jacks were a breeze to use, so I never needed to use one of those.

I bought a bottle jack for my truck, but it's too small. The factory bottle still seems best. At some point (very soon) I need to go shopping for another one.

To be fair, my "import" lacks a dipstick on its automatic.

My import lacks a dipstick on its engine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
To be fair, my "import" lacks a dipstick on its automatic.

My import lacks a dipstick on its engine.

You lose! Ha!

Actually, you win, as I bet the car has a sensor and tells you if the level is low. No pulling bolts and waiting for a trickle or other malarkey.

You lose! Ha!

Actually, you win, as I bet the car has a sensor and tells you if the level is low.

Yes, and we all know how reliable these sensors can be on Euro cars.
smile.gif

On top of that, the sensor doesn't show you anything above max. So, if you're at max or a quart above max, the digital readout will just show "max".

I'm old fashioned, so I ended up buying a physical dipstick. Thankfully, at least there was a dipstick tube that I could stick that dipstick into.
smile.gif

Generally these various cars were easy to work on and one doesn't need to read manuals to do the maintenance on those.

I think your logic here is seriously flawed. I would not own a vehich without owning the factory service manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back