Rare Mountain Lion Killed in KY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: aa1986
I see both sides of the argument, but to call someone arrogant and unreasonable and then accuse the other person of over-reacting and using vitriol is hypocrisy imo.

I saw nothing wrong with andrewg's reply. It was simply his opinion.

And to clarify, I have sympathy with both sides of the argument on this. I haven't looked into it enough to form a conclusion.

Yep...it was my opinion and no need for some to get too worked-up over it.

I certainly don't want any kids (or adults) to get harmed by a wild animal. But at the same time I think it just horrid to kill almost ANY animal for what it MIGHT do. The natural world is what it is....in a wild state it's a thing to marvel at...and have common sense toward it's dangers.......not KILL or DESTROY something out of fear.

Plenty of info available about cougars and how to react toward them. It's not that hard to educate kids (or adults) in the proper safety precautions.

I'll tell you what though....IF that cougar DID stalk and attack a human (as it would it's natural prey) then I could see a reason to dispatch it. But nothing in the story alluded to that.

Agreed.

So a big kitty was killed, big deal!

This reminds me of an accident on one of Montreal's major highways that happened few years ago. A lady stopped in the middle of the free flowing highway and caused two deaths. Upon investigation, it turned out that some ducklings were crossing the highway and this lady, from the goodness of her hear and the stupidity of her brain, decided that she needs to stop and rescue the birds. Two people died because of her stupidity and shortsighted view.

Who's to say that this cat would not attack someone, since it was not too afraid of people to get close to them? A bunch of coulda, shoulda, woulda is all nice when sitting in the comfort of one's home.

One thing is for sure, I'm not gonna cry over a one killed animal even if other solutions could've been implemented.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

This reminds me of an accident on one of Montreal's major highways that happened few years ago. A lady stopped in the middle of the free flowing highway and caused two deaths. Upon investigation, it turned out that some ducklings were crossing the highway and this lady, from the goodness of her hear and the stupidity of her brain, decided that she needs to stop and rescue the birds. Two people died because of her stupidity and shortsighted view.

Who's to say that this cat would not attack someone, since it was not too afraid of people to get close to them? A bunch of coulda, shoulda, woulda is all nice when sitting in the comfort of one's home.

One thing is for sure, I'm not gonna cry over a one killed animal even if other solutions could've been implemented.

No disrespect...but the story about the foolish lady and the ducks really has no correlation with the cougar story.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I believe we are in agreement on this one. Children have a greater probability of fatally taking a bath versus a mountain lion attack. The justification of killing a mountain loin is very weak. I guess children should not bathe.

Careful with using probabilities to make your point. You'll be accused of doing "false mathematics" and told that "mathematical odds" don't make sense. You may even be accused of being involved with academia.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

That reminds me of when I was driving south on I-85 in SC in my 18 wheeler. There was a mother goose and 4 little ones behind her. I was in the passing lane and they almost got across the highway into the median. I checked my mirror and there was a bunch of feathers flying out from under the trailer. Sorry, but human life is more valuable (to me anyway) than any animal or bird. I did feel bad for hitting the geese, though. Central WV is pretty remote, and there have been mountain lions spotted there. Wouldn't take the chance.

I'm just wondering, was tranquilizing the animal and putting it in a zoo an option? Or was that too costly or never even discussed?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
^^^There probably wasn't time to do anything like that. The mtn lion was already in a tree and immediate action had to happen.

Thanks. If that was in fact the case and the animal was going to attack someone than there weren't too many options. If the animal could have been captured and placed in a zoo that's sad. I don't know all the facts, I wasn't there.

According to Missouri experts, a mountain lion in a tree is a sign of avoidance and non-aggressive behavior:

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/wildli...r-mountain-lion

I agree that the situation was one of non preparedness and they made a decision at the moment that could have been better had they the opportunity to armchair quarter back it for several days. Larger cities probably have county Sheriff animal control units that could handle the situation better than some DNR wildlife units. We can "what if" forever.

As NHHemi said - a bad situation with a sad ending.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
^^^There probably wasn't time to do anything like that. The mtn lion was already in a tree and immediate action had to happen.

Thanks. If that was in fact the case and the animal was going to attack someone than there weren't too many options. If the animal could have been captured and placed in a zoo that's sad. I don't know all the facts, I wasn't there.

......or they could have just left the cougar alone and nothing at all would have come of it.

I was torn between grilling and barbecuing but finally settled on grilling and chose a nice Merlot, as it helped to mask the "gaminess" of the wild mountain lions meat. I could have went with the Cabernet Sauvignon but didn't want the nutty, smoky hint that the Cabernet sometimes imparts on wild game. My guests at my dinner party Saturday night loved it and thought it was Venison....Ha Ha HA!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I was torn between grilling and barbecuing but finally settled on grilling and chose a nice Merlot, as it helped to mask the "gaminess" of the wild mountain lions meat. I could have went with the Cabernet Sauvignon but didn't want the nutty, smoky hint that the Cabernet sometimes imparts on wild game. My guests at my dinner party Saturday night loved it and thought it was Venison....Ha Ha HA!

So...is this supposed to upset people that like animals? Huh....didn't work. I eat game meats and enjoy eating animals.

But....I am conscious enough to know that killing a wild animal for no good reason is a waste of human intelligence.

But....inevitably the trolls like to frequent topics like this in order to get attention.

Glad I didn't upset you! My favorite animals are the big cats. I personally don't kill or eat 'game' meats. My previous post was all 'tongue in cheek'....sorry.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Glad I didn't upset you! My favorite animals are the big cats. I personally don't kill or eat 'game' meats. My previous post was all 'tongue in cheek'....sorry.

Oh...then I apologize. I thought you were just trying to push buttons.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

......or they could have just left the cougar alone and nothing at all would have come of it.

True, although it's something we'll never know now.

This thread has run it's course and is now nothing but a platform for some to continue to insult and belittle those who disagree with them even though we have stopped trying to discuss the situation. This thread should be locked down for clear violations of this site's posting policy and some people should be given a time out.

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back