Anyone make a "unused file" deleting program???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember on bold-fortune.com ,this one guy was able to strip thousands of files from XP that were never used.They just sat in the background doing nothing,never to be used.I think he got xp down to a few HUNDRED files! He did get rid of a lot of files for internet use though. I thought maybe some program that marks each file somehow,then waits maybe a few months and marks the ones never used.After that time has passed,they get deleted.I'm sure the comp would run quite a bit faster!

I wouldn't do that. It would be a massive headache and I would never trust a program to do it.

I don't trust registery cleaners let alone a program that would just delete old files.

I don't know of any program that would do this tho. If your having problems with a slow PC maybe it's time to upgrade. Pcs are disposable they are bit ment to last indefinitely.

Maybe upgrade the ram which is normally a fairly cheap upgrade that can provide a noticeable diffrence (depend on how old your PC is).

If always suggested it and I'll give the recommendation to you but if your worried about a packed hard drive maybe look into a external hard drive. Should be able to find a 500gb drive for $50-$60.

Every PC will have bloatware, however I don't see any company putting 1000's of non critical on a PC.

It's more of a thing to do.I know all those other things will help,but just knowing there is a lot of MS junk in my comp just sitting there.Like a car with a trunk full of junk.Sure,you can add stuff to make the car go faster even with the full trunk,but I'd rather "empty out the trunk" It's also for curiosity's sake LOL

Originally Posted By: Subdued
More files do not slow down your computer. Fragmentation slows it down.

+1 really didn't want to get into this conversation.

The files sitting on the HD don't really do anything, it's all the stuff that gets loaded into memory that slows it down. Think of the unused files as the stuff for your car sitting on the shelves. Try uninstalling things that you don't use, lots of stuff ends up getting loaded in the background doing things like checking for updates, but if you don't use them, they just slow you down.

I use Ccleaner. It is free and it has a registry cleaner that deletes obsolete registry files. It also has some other tools. Its pretty cool. Check it out.

I'd look @ a different OS if any OS required maintenance by the end user @ this level to maintain a satisfactory level of performance.

Lots of files will slow down an OS, but only if the files are all in one directory (I'm talking 100's of thousands of files) and the directory is regularly accessed.

Last edited:
Glarys Utilities is a good maintenance program. The Pro (pay) version gets rid of empty folders and bad shortcuts among others. It also has a good registry defrager and cleaner repair program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back