Mobil site vs Manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

So in my 2010 Ford Taurus I run 5w-20 but on the new mobil 1 site it says this:

"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity. A 0W-20 viscosity can also be used."

Why would Mobil tell people they can use oils not recommended by the manufacturer? Why wouldn't Ford specify that 0w-20 could be used?

Common sense will dictate that you can run either. 0W20 is for colder climates for easier cold starting. You can run either and be just fine. 0W20 will protect in all climates whether it be cold or hot. Once the engine gets up to operating temperature, both oils act as a 20 weight oil. The only difference is during cold starts in cold climates. Usually below 0 degrees. That's where you will want the 0W20.

Last edited:
Both of the above responses are correct.

Run a 0W-20, and call it a day. 0W-20 is inherently better oil, anyway, due to what does into making a 0W-20.

There is no bad 0W-20. As to 5W-20.. depending on the kind, may cost less than 0W-20, and isn't "bad," either.

I run 0W-20 in my large engine designed for 5W-20 and later back-spec'd to 0W-20. 0W-20 is the "better" oil. See what I am saying?

M1 AFE is intended as an alternative for 5W-30 and 5W-20 applications.
This may not be true of all 0W-20 or 0W-30 grade oils.
The ultra-high VI Japanese branded 0W-20s might be too thin at operating temperatures for some engines while something like Castrol's 0W-30 would be much thicker than required for most API spec 5W-30 applications.
If I were you and I were paying synthetic oil prices and not chasing deals (I tend to chase deals), I'd use AFE 0W-20.
That SSO you're using isn't tested to either Ford's or API's specs either, although we all know that it's a good oil and will work well in your engine.

Because XM recommends 0-20 for Fords. I use it in my Fords with great success.

Last edited:
Funny this was brought up. The old site recommended 0w20 along with 5w20 for the Sonata 2.4. Now it just recommends 5w20. I called and asked why. I was told that Mobil now recommends 5w20. So... i asked what happens if something were to go wrong with someone's vehicle because of the old site's recommendation (for arguments sake)? I got the same line...'Mobil recommends 5w20 for that application'. Moral: follow your owner's manual recommendation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 still recommends M1 0-20 for engines calling for 5-20.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

Ah yes tig, you're right. I see it on their website. Besides, i would still be comfortable using a 0w40 vs 5w40 etc if the 100°cSt numbers were camparable.

Well, it's still a little squishy, at least for Fords. Ford's specified oil is a 5w/20 meeting WSS-M2C-945A. Tig's Mobil link says 0w/20 AFE meets WSS-M2C-947A, which doesn't seem to supercede 945A.

Mobil is a little schizophrenic on this topic: it says 0w/20 is a substitute for 5w/20 and says it meets/exceeds WSS-M2C-945A on some AFE bottles (but not 0w/20 EP), but doesn't show that spec in technical data sheets or suggest AFE is an option in its specific vehicle recommendations.

I agree 0w/20 is a superior product and should be safe to use, but with the wrong engine problem and the wrong dealer I wonder if it could be a warranty complication. And if one would ask Ford about AFE 0w/20 specifically, I doubt they would give any assurance it was OK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
M1 still recommends M1 0-20 for engines calling for 5-20.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

Ah yes tig, you're right. I see it on their website. Besides, i would still be comfortable using a 0w40 vs 5w40 etc if the 100°cSt numbers were camparable.

Well, it's still a little squishy, at least for Fords. Ford's specified oil is a 5w/20 meeting WSS-M2C-945A. Tig's Mobil link says 0w/20 AFE meets WSS-M2C-947A, which doesn't seem to supercede 945A.

Mobil is a little schizophrenic on this topic: it says 0w/20 is a substitute for 5w/20 and says it meets/exceeds WSS-M2C-945A on some AFE bottles (but not 0w/20 EP), but doesn't show that spec in technical data sheets or suggest AFE is an option in its specific vehicle recommendations.

I agree 0w/20 is a superior product and should be safe to use, but with the wrong engine problem and the wrong dealer I wonder if it could be a warranty complication. And if one would ask Ford about AFE 0w/20 specifically, I doubt they would give any assurance it was OK.

All good points and grounded in logic. I should have been more clear with my assertion that a 0w is ok to use in a 5w application where Hyundai is concerned because of a lack of OEM approvals from Hyundai/Kia. Didnt mean to hijack...

Funny this was brought up. The old site recommended 0w20 along with 5w20 for the Sonata 2.4. Now it just recommends 5w20. I called and asked why. I was told that Mobil now recommends 5w20. So... i asked what happens if something were to go wrong with someone's vehicle because of the old site's recommendation (for arguments sake)? I got the same line...'Mobil recommends 5w20 for that application'. Moral: follow your owner's manual recommendation.

Sounds like Mobil got dragged into a warranty claim or two and decided it was easier to cut bait rather than fight it.

While anyone with sense could see that an 0w20 in a 5w20 application is certainly not likely the cause of an oil related failure, 0w anything is nowhere in any KIA/Hyundai manual that I know of. So by default you are getting into shaky warranty territory.

Funny this was brought up. The old site recommended 0w20 along with 5w20 for the Sonata 2.4. Now it just recommends 5w20.

Same with my 2014 Ford Focus 2.0L. They also no longer claim Ford WSS-M2C945-A for their 0W-20 oils. I sent them an inquiry through their web site but they never got back to me. I still have 46K miles on my factory warranty and may have to run 5W-20 in the summers (I have enough WSS-M2C945-A labeled 0W-20 AFE for the winters).

Interesting thoughts.

So my particular car says on the oil cap...0w20 or 5w20. I'm old school, so I was a little afraid to run something that light, so at first I went for the 5w20 weight oil (used mobil 1). But due to the cold weather I'm experiencing now in the winter I decided to go ahead and give the 0w20 a try. So far after 5k miles my engine has not used a drop. It seems like people around here - if they had to choose between the two - seem to lean heavily to the 0w20 because it is basically the same, but with better cold starts and qualities in the oil, is this correct?

So why would the 0w20 have better ingredients? Are there better base stocks to make the oil flow better under the colder conditions, therefore making it a higher quality?

The first time I poured 0w20 into a car I thought...this stuff is like water, I don't like it. How can something that looks as thin as water protect an engine? It was in a newer honda accord. The stuff just flowed so thin and quick. I wasn't used to it. But my v8 Lexus calls for it...I hope this isn't Lexus just trying to get a few more mpg points out of my car, because I'd rather have protection.

Originally Posted By: doublebase

The first time I poured 0w20 into a car I thought...this stuff is like water, I don't like it. How can something that looks as thin as water protect an engine? It was in a newer honda accord. The stuff just flowed so thin and quick. I wasn't used to it. But my v8 Lexus calls for it...I hope this isn't Lexus just trying to get a few more mpg points out of my car, because I'd rather have protection.

This is where the old school guys get turned off by it. They think that because its thin in the jug, it wont protect an engine.. and think somehow something with a light syrup consistency will protect their engine better? Wrong.. when oil gets hot, its like water.

I imagine this is why I was able to buy so much 0w30 on clearance at AZ. I bought some for the GF and her turbo'd Volvo as a joke for Christmas. Thankfully her dad didn't see it or he probably wouldn't have approved. He is still into the thicker oils and runs 15w40 in a 5.4 that calls for 5w20. Lol.

Use what the car manufacturer calls for at their recommended intervals and you'll be golden for many many years.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Sounds like Mobil got dragged into a warranty claim or two and decided it was easier to cut bait rather than fight it.

While anyone with sense could see that an 0w20 in a 5w20 application is certainly not likely the cause of an oil related failure, 0w anything is nowhere in any KIA/Hyundai manual that I know of. So by default you are getting into shaky warranty territory.

Have you ever heard of any company refusing a warranty claim because someone used a 0-20 instead of 5-20? How would they even tell the difference?

How would they even tell the difference?

Well, in my case I have a bunch of receipts and a hand written log detailing my oil changes.

Use what you want.

If you're worried about warranty compliance, use Motorcraft blend until the warranty expires.

Personally, I'm getting disallusioned with the need to run my government's fuel saving motor oil of choice in my vehicles.

I'm feeling a 5W-30 rebellion coming on in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back