Mazda coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
What coolant type do the new Mazdas use? An online search has not yielded anything other than that it is a longlife coolant. I would like to know what specs it has and what products are compatible (Dexcool etc).

hotwheels

How new? I have a 2012 Mazda 3 (Skyactiv). Stamped into the plastic tank, near the cap, it says FL22. If your coolant is a dark, somewhat forest green color it's FL22. There is no aftermarket version. Some will say you could use an Asian multi-vehicle formula (Zerex). FL22 doesn't need to be replaced until the car is at 122,000 miles. It is available in premix only (55% coolant/45% water) from Mazda, or as a concentrate from Ford, called "Specialty Green."

I have been adding 4 oz of RMI-25 to mine every 15,000 miles. I haven't had to top off yet (41,000 miles). Based upon what I learned about RMI-25 I may run this coolant a lot more than 122K miles - with pH testing.

Almost surely, it's FL22. If it's not dark green, it's the other one mentioned in your owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
FL22 doesn't need to be replaced until the car is at 122,000 miles. It is available in premix only (55% coolant/45% water) from Mazda, or as a concentrate from Ford, called "Specialty Green."....

That about covers it. Mazda FL22 is somewhat unique in that it is a 55/45 premix PHOAT. You could make your own with MC Spec. Grn and distilled. That said, imo I'm doubtful that using ZAF P-Hoat premix as an alternative would hurt a thing.

But as noted, shouldn't need to be concerned about it for some time.

Mazda green is their branding of the p-hoat typical Asian forumla, started by Toyota as I understand it. You can also use Toyota fluids. I use the "long-life" (toyota red) vs. the
"super long-life" (pink) because I can mix it 55/45 with distilled water vs. being forced to buy the sll pre-mix.

Good sources for that are Pentofrost A1 at O'Reilly and others ($26/gallon concentrate) or Toyota branded red at Carquest for $28/gal for concentrate. If 50/50 is good for you, Zerex Asian is more widely available.

I drain/fill the radiator every 30k vs. trusting the SLL for longer and doing a complete drain/fill (bigger pita).

Off the top of my head, usn't Zerex G-05 a phosphate hybrid organic acid technology coolant?

Edit: I think I got that wrong. G-05 is phosphate-free.

Last edited:
Somewhere it says Mazda Extended Life Coolant – 0000-77-508E-20 – FL22 is identical with Ford Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant – VC-10-A Premixed, VC-10-A2 Concentrate.

hotwheels

I'd bet it is FL22 as well. I always go with what the OEM sells rather than attempting to second guess and/or save a couple of dollars.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'd bet it is FL22 as well. I always go with what the OEM sells rather than attempting to second guess and/or save a couple of dollars.

It's not so much about saving a buck, but rather about being able to find a substitute for the product when out in the boonies where choices are limited. I may be willing to carry extra coolant concentrate, but I don't really want to haul a gallon of premix.

hotwheels

How long do Mazda waterpumps last on average? Surely the coolant needs to be replaced as soon as metal components within the cooling system are replaced.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back