is this is a bad sign for my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was cleaning the family car, topping of the fluids and checking the filter. When I decided to remove the oil filling cap and to my surprise I found what you see in pic #1. I tried to get a pic of the insides but this is all I could get (pic #2)

all this crude and sludge in the cap is bad new for me and the engine or is just normal?

I normally use Castrol GTX 5W-30, rarely PYB on the same weight. But lately I have been using Formula shell. All of them changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months. Whatever comes first.

The car is a 2008 Sentra with the 2.0 engine and 73,000 miles.

cap.jpg

trd.jpg

is that a 'creme brulee' looking gunk? if so, it is common in Northern USA or Canada for engines that are operated frequently for short distance driving in cold weather ~ normal water condensation is not being burnt off by engine heat, it condenses on areas of the engine that get cold, under the oil cap is very common location to see this vanilla custard.

Is Florida that cold?

Solution if it is just unburnt water vapour mixing with oil is a 1 hour highway drive.

Does not mean the engine is sludged. Condensation on the underside of the oil cap. Not much oil movement there to keep it clean.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Does not mean the engine is sludged. Condensation on the underside of the oil cap. Not much oil movement there to keep it clean.

Yeah, and its often the highest point of the engine so the vapors collect and cool.

Just changed the oil in the Versa (MR18, assume you have an MR20) and the oil cap looks identical to yours. The varnish in your filler neck is heavier and darker than mine. The Versa sees 100 miles a day, and 5k oci with whatever is cheap and a Fram OCOD or Tough Guard. I don't see evidence of sludge, and bet it I would be clean under the cover if you pulled it.

well it says that I live en FL because I was about to move. But I decided to stay in the Iraq of the Caribbean (PR) and not leave mi family alone.

Thanks for all your advice, I was really worried that my engine died suddenly in the wrong side of the town.

BTW: Thank you all! I feel more relieved right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back