Diagnosing Engine Noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started looking, not finding, and haven't seen a discussion here for a while. What noises are from what? For instance, I want to say a worn wrist pin is noisy at idle, and maybe engine decel, but not above idle. Or something like that--which is the point of the thread. I think main bearings are a low thud which is always present... or might go away above idle if from low pressure...?

On a related question, what might be the noise on my car? I swear at times I have a knock or rattle, at light throttle, maybe during light accel too. Might be gone when hot. But not during decel nor under heavy throttle. Before you say preignition it is on my diesel.

25 yrs ago I had a good ear for noises. Not any more.
frown.gif

A lot of engine noises are greatly magnified at drive-thru windows with a tall wall that sound easily bounces off of.

That's why I avoid drive throughs. That and the scary food offered there.

And why sometimes I cringe when I drive past jersey barriers, always wonder about the new noise I'm hearing...

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
A lot of engine noises are greatly magnified at drive-thru windows with a tall wall that sound easily bounces off of.

Yup. I hear all sorts of stuff at the Mickey D's drive thru with a tall wall.

But seriously, the noise I hear is out in the country, cold engine, and I don't think I hear it warm. Piston slap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back