900+miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some advice from you guys.Six months ago i changed my oil in my 2008 Dodge Dakota 4.7 and on the clock it has 900 plus mile into it..Manual says change oil at 7,500 or 6 months and its 6 months now..i dont drive the truck too much but i was thinking the add packs may be depleated in the oil..so question is should i just change the oil or just run it for 7,500

Keep going. 18 months. I ran a dakota 2.5 through two winters on Rotella 5w40. Only drove it once a week to the dump, and barely warmed it up.

I am in the same situation with my Dodge Ram 2500. Last oil change I had less than a 1000 miles. I have the lifetime warranty and the manual says quite clearly, do not go over 6000 miles or 6 months. I change it every 6 months now. Seriously, for the cost of a do it yourself oil change, under $20, is it worth the aggravation. I am sure the oil is still good, but I change it.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am in the same situation with my Dodge Ram 2500. Last oil change I had less than a 1000 miles. I have the lifetime warranty and the manual says quite clearly, do not go over 6000 miles or 6 months. I change it every 6 months now. Seriously, for the cost of a do it yourself oil change, under $20, is it worth the aggravation. I am sure the oil is still good, but I change it.

to maintain your warranty you have to change it according to you're warranty regs. He doesn't.
Changing it at 900 miles is absurd. How many times has it got to be said. Oil cannot tell time. Therefore run the miles out. It's just that simple and easy.

I use the truck when i go a few miles cross town and a few HWY drives just to give it a good run and i walk to work and leave the truck home.I heard this story if the oil is in for six months the add pack in the oil will some what deminish over that time period so i dont know if this is a myth or what..i bring the engine to operating temperature when i drive and never cold shut downs when i park it.

Originally Posted By: Indy
I use the truck when i go a few miles cross town and a few HWY drives just to give it a good run and i walk to work and leave the truck home.I heard this story if the oil is in for six months the add pack in the oil will some what deminish over that time period so i dont know if this is a myth or what..i bring the engine to operating temperature when i drive and never cold shut downs when i park it.

It's not a myth however it's not a factor really.
If the oil is really degraded and acidic then yes leaving it in may cause pitting however at 900 miles that's not an issue.
It's been proven via used oil analysis that time in sump is irrelevant. Fuel burned is.

Hi Clevy the truck is long over the warranty lol..The Dakota is my baby and i do work it hard for the odd heavy hauls once in the blue but other wise i try to keep the PM going as needed

One of my cars is like that, gets little use. It has around 1K on the oil (after 8 months) and I'm not changing it because its still good. I run Napa Synthetic, just run it hard once and a while to sweat out any moisture and it should be fine unless it feels dirty.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Agree 100%. I NEVER let any vehicle go over 6 months without an oil change regardless of mileage. Cheap insurance compared to the price of your vehicle.

Last edited:
+2 on the 1 year OCI. I think you should also do a UOA at 1 year and see what the results are. I'm sure you can probably even go 18 months without an issue.

Regards, JC.

I guess i should swap it out soon then but i will wait for a sale first..its a yo yo out here..prices are up and down in different stores and our walmart i was at tonight is out of the question.Partsource has a price on oil that is forgiving and Canadian Tire just had a great sale the other day and bought some for my wifes car.So i will do some recon when i get the time before the weather gets nasty as i do my stuff outside.

If you're running a good quality synthetic oil, just change it out once a year. 6 months is too soon. Synthetics are known to not break down early and not to form corrosive acids soon like conventional oils. Run a good quality synthetic oil and a good quality oil filter and you'll be fine to change the oil out once a year or by the manufacturers specified mileage interval.

Originally Posted By: Indy
I guess i should swap it out soon then but i will wait for a sale first..its a yo yo out here..prices are up and down in different stores and our walmart i was at tonight is out of the question.Partsource has a price on oil that is forgiving and Canadian Tire just had a great sale the other day and bought some for my wifes car.So i will do some recon when i get the time before the weather gets nasty as i do my stuff outside.

You never indicated what type of oil you use??? Plenty of decent oil specials going on until the 31st ....CanTire has QS conv. & syntheic 45% off, PartSource has Castrol Edge Black & Gold 45% off & Walmart has Castol GTX $11.88 4.4L plus they ad match so you can take advantage of oil specials from other places at WM. & if you like Valvoline Amazon.ca has an "ok" special going on a (case of 6) of Synpower (10w30 case being the cheapest) I believe that shipping is free.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Change it once a year with SuperTech full synthetic 10W-30.

Just curious...why SuperTech and no other synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
Just curious...why SuperTech and no other synthetic?

Because other synthetics are overhyped. They spend megabucks on advertising and then have the audacity to charge the consumer for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back