Applying fluid film

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not too thick, that is what is required if you want to keep your car forever!
Also very important is to get that much into ALL the box sections of the unibody frame, the sills, the rocker panels, bottoms of the doors, and the front lip of the hood.

wow. Not qualified to comment, but that looks thick and/or aerated.

But it does seem to wash off...
Ive heard some reports of bilogical activity where FF is used in closed sections...

I just asked this question on one of the other forum sections. Does fluid film dry or does it remain tacky? Looking at the linked pictures, I can't imagine it remaining sticky, because that would just attract dirt.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
wow. Not qualified to comment, but that looks thick and/or aerated.

But it does seem to wash off...
Ive heard some reports of bilogical activity where FF is used in closed sections...

Since the product is lanolin-based, some microorganisms, and maybe even bugs, may eat it. Maybe one should top-coat with Bug Off?

hotwheels

Does wash off. The spray can is lighter, and it seems to wash off the topside of my car after a month or two. Or it gets real thin.

On my Jetta it has some drain holes in the hatch. I shot some FF up in there, then later pulled the panels for something else. Found that it had not flowed into the seam. Maybe I didn't shoot enough up in there, but it has left me somewhat concerned with its ability to flow to where it is needed in doors etc.

Originally Posted By: supton
Does wash off. The spray can is lighter, and it seems to wash off the topside of my car after a month or two. Or it gets real thin.

On my Jetta it has some drain holes in the hatch. I shot some FF up in there, then later pulled the panels for something else. Found that it had not flowed into the seam. Maybe I didn't shoot enough up in there, but it has left me somewhat concerned with its ability to flow to where it is needed in doors etc.

The shop in Dolgerville NY that does CarWell (somewhat similar to FF) uses wands about 3' long to reach the hard to get areas. They also drill some holes, which I would be hard pressed to find. I am not sure you can shot stuff from a can and expect it to get too far up. The same two guys have been doing it for years.

Now that I think about it, I did the same on the tailgate on my truck. Each gate has quarter inch drain holes that I inserted the spray can straw into. In both cases I got oil up, but none drained down into the critical seam. In neither case was it being shot vertically. Which might be why it failed to work--though once closed it should have drained down.

I'm a bit hesitant to pop door panels off, hate to make squeaks, but IMO it must be done to ensure proper sealing, after seeing that.

It looks like the guy cut it too thin with mineral spirits. That, or there's too much airflow from the gun.

I've sprayed it thicker on my cars. On one car I sprayed 5 gals of rustproofing on it.

Really? I figure if I can see the color of the FF then it's probably too thick.

Maybe I'm getting it too thin.

I've personally never had it foam up and look like that using rattle cans or an electric paint sprayer.

But, they sure did a thorough job, just like the listing says.

I have had fluid film get a little thick and foamy in some spots. It quickly spreads out so the car would not look like that for very long.

Hmmm...on a second look it sure appears they didn't bother to try to cover the brake rotors and sprayed the knuckle and everything else. Surely they got it on the rotors. That's not good.

I cover disk brakes with garbage bags when spraying so the brakes don't get contaminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back