Heated Wiper Blades..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had aftermarket heated wiper blades on my Golf back in the '90s. They kept the blades from freezing to the windshield in extreme temperatures. I also had heated washer fluid. I routed the washer fluid through a 1/2 inch coiled plastic tube that was wrapped around a coolant hose, thus warming the water before it got squirted on the windshield. That DIY setup worked actually very well.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
I had aftermarket heated wiper blades on my Golf back in the '90s. They kept the blades from freezing to the windshield in extreme temperatures. I also had heated washer fluid. I routed the washer fluid through a 1/2 inch coiled plastic tube that was wrapped around a coolant hose, thus warming the water before it got squirted on the windshield. That DIY setup worked actually very well.

hotwheels

Please, do tell.....sounds great for early morning ice! Not to mention frost.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

hotwheels

Please, do tell.....sounds great for early morning ice! Not to mention frost.

Standard on many Mercedes models. Including the '92 300E. Coolant circulates through a metal coil in the washer fluid reservoir to warm the fluid.

Works great.

I wonder what the blade life is, and how quickly people would balk at $60 every year.

My experience has been, start the car and let heat do the job on the windshield. Once or twice I've had to just let it run, after a bad storm. Beats scraping--and these blades will on deal with ice next to them.

I just picked up a bottle of Prestone deicer, in a spray bottle, am waiting to see what I think of it this winter.

hotwheels
Wouldn't heated washer fluid on an icy windshield crack it?

I don't think it's that hot. Nor that much. Plus I don't think the whole line is heated up. Mine has the heaters, never checked if they still work, but I don't use washer guild when it's that cold anyhow.

Are these electrically heated? do you have to wire them? It says it heats to 150 degrees?! is this necessary to get this hot? Almost too hot to touch.

Originally Posted By: supton
I don't think it's that hot. Nor that much. Plus I don't think the whole line is heated up. Mine has the heaters, never checked if they still work, but I don't use washer guild when it's that cold anyhow.
Which of your cars has it heated? Even if the Beetle's was (it has heated leather seats and defrosting mirrors) the washer bottle hasn't held fluid for years. Have actually never needed it since it's garaged, and the coldest temperature the car has been in was maybe about 30 degrees lol.

The Jetta. Cold weather package. I forget how it works, if the nozzles come on with the defroster or what.

This time of year the seat heaters don't get turned off. I turn them on in Sept and run them until April or May. On actually cold days I might make ten miles before I have heat; heaven forbid if I don't get over 60 or it just won't heat up!

A lot of the higher end Mercedes while they don't have heated blades, they circulate coolant in the washer tank to heat the fluid, have heated rear view mirrors, and circulate coolant around the base of the windshield to melt ice quickly, and warm up where the wipers rest. The headlight washers and washer nozzles are also heated.

An S class is all sorts of toasty and deiced in the winter.

My favorite feature on my old W126 was the duct work in the door panels so those would get nice and warm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

hotwheels
Wouldn't heated washer fluid on an icy windshield crack it?

The water is not boiling hot and the quantity is too small to cause the windshield to crack.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
A lot of the higher end Mercedes while they don't have heated blades, they circulate coolant in the washer tank to heat the fluid, have heated rear view mirrors, and circulate coolant around the base of the windshield to melt ice quickly, and warm up where the wipers rest. The headlight washers and washer nozzles are also heated.

An S class is all sorts of toasty and deiced in the winter.

My favorite feature on my old W126 was the duct work in the door panels so those would get nice and warm.

I never knew, thanks for the info. Sounds awesome.

Originally Posted By: supton
I wonder what the blade life is, and how quickly people would balk at $60 every year.

My experience has been, start the car and let heat do the job on the windshield. Once or twice I've had to just let it run, after a bad storm. Beats scraping--and these blades will on deal with ice next to them.

I just picked up a bottle of Prestone deicer, in a spray bottle, am waiting to see what I think of it this winter.

Be careful with the spray-on deicer. The taillights on my Volvo wagon went from crystal clear to covered with white haze (almost like they'd been sanded with 120 grit or thereabouts) after they got a little overspray on them.

Once or twice a year we get a type of storm where ice accumulates on the wipers and is very hard to remove, I would think this would be the best part of heated wipers - not for clearing a windshield. My BMW has heated nozzles which I've never really understood. Maybe it heats the fluid enough to help with cleaning or something, but once it hits the cold windshield I can't imagine it does much of anything.

And I imagine those wipers have to get really hot to stay hot in a 70+ MPH blast of -20 air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back