Dumb Question for bikers about Motul chain lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a biker, at least not a motorcyclist. I bought a can of Motul chain lube to use on my indoor rowing machine, which has a bicycle chain.
The spray can comes with a long nozzle and a short nozzle.

Here's my dumb question, do I just lift the short nozzle straight up to switch nozzles. I would hate to ruin an expensive full can of lubricant.

I hate to say it, but modern motorcycle chain lube is probably not the ideal lube for your rowing machine. Bicycle chain lube would probably more appropriate.

The difference is, motorcycle chains are now sealed with "O" rings between the sideplates and the links. The lube is actually more of a rust preventative, since the chain grease is sealed inside. I believe that bicycles still use open chains, since less power is lost to O ring friction.

You would be better using good old 10w30 engine oil or maybe even a good gun oil like Rem Oil or Breakfree CLP since its an open chain.

Do not use Motul chain lube on any cycling or indoor exercise equipment, as it is tacky to the point of being like gummy, sticky tar when the solvent/ vehicle evaporates. It also sprays on far too much for a 1/2 pitch x 3/32 wide chain.

I would highly recommend a bicycle specific product, especially one made for "dry" operation. Wax and/or teflon- based lubes would be the cleanest for indoor use, like Finish Line brand. When dripping the lube onto each link, remember to hold a disposable rag or paper towel under it to catch whatever wear particles flow out of the rollers and plates. And of course carefully wash your hands with a citrus degreaser after finishing the job.

Originally Posted By: CentAmDL650
Do not use Motul chain lube on any cycling or indoor exercise equipment, as it is tacky to the point of being like gummy, sticky tar when the solvent/ vehicle evaporates. It also sprays on far too much for a 1/2 pitch x 3/32 wide chain.

I would highly recommend a bicycle specific product, especially one made for "dry" operation. Wax and/or teflon- based lubes would be the cleanest for indoor use, like Finish Line brand. When dripping the lube onto each link, remember to hold a disposable rag or paper towel under it to catch whatever wear particles flow out of the rollers and plates. And of course carefully wash your hands with a citrus degreaser after finishing the job.
This,,, I would have to agree 100%

Thanks to all for the replies. I used the Motul; it does come out super fast, but I moved the can very quickly so I put only a light amount on. Wanted the penetration that I wasn't sure I would get with the Finish line, which I will use going forward. The tackiness isn't too bad, since I used a very light amount.

I use bar and chain lube by Supertech. I bought a gallon of it when I had to cut down 30 something trees down with my chain saw. I have plenty left so I use it on my bicycle chains, etc. Works really good and it's cheap.

Try Rock-n-Roll gold chain lube. It's what I use on my mountain bike. Cleanest lube I've ever used in 18 years of mountain biking.

Lots of good bike lubes out there. I don't think the tackiness of the motul will be a big deal as it will not be exposed to a dirty environment like a mtn bke. With that said the motul would not be my first choice of lube either.

There is a product called chain saver (or similar named) made by Duponnt that is sold at lowes. It is derived from Finish Line Dry bike lube but half the cost you would pay at a bike store ($5 vs $9ish)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back