AAP gripe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gripe is why can't they have a register open just for people to buy their products and check out? I have gradually slowed purchasing from AAP because I don't have 30 minutes to purchase a set of windshield wipers or other items from them at their retail locations. My local AAP store has six terminals to check people out but never has more than two open. Today I stopped in on my way home and left after 10 minutes in line with them helping the same two people. Believe me, they are generally helpful in those situations but not everybody needs to find 7 parts for a 1984 toyota everytime they go. Sometimes it would be nice to just pick up the items I need and check out in a reasonable amount of time. Today is a pretty busy day for retail. Why only two registers open? Why even have the other 4 if they aren't open on one of the busiest days of the year? Thanks for allowing me to rant.

This is the "coffee-only" idea that some have touted for Starbucks.

While the rest of society orders their 800 calorie $9 5-step coffee drink, the black coffee society can go in, get ONLY a black coffee quickly, and be able to get out.

Yeah, my AAP in Manassas is the same way. Seems understaffed. Helpful & polite, but slow. Autozone & NAPA always go faster.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yep. It takes 15 minutes to buy an oil filter.
\nd Amazon drops it on your doorstep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yep. It takes 15 minutes to buy an oil filter.
\nd Amazon drops it on your doorstep.

+1

I go to AAP only if I have to or if there's a great deal on an oil change special. I figure its a minimum of 20 minutes time even when it's a simple purchase like an oil change special and I can grab the filter off the shelf. If I need to buy a part behind the counter its half an hour, and then I'll buy it online for in store pickup. Slow is an understatement.

Seems like EVERY store has 1/8th or less of their registers open.

I truly question this practice. These cashiers make minimum wage. They make up their $8.25 an hour labor in.. 2 minutes... ???

Autozone, NAPA, they are all the same. None of the registers are for just buying the stuff you have in your hands you came in to buy. Instead it seems they are question/answer sessions or advice discussion about what part or fluid this or that vehicle needs. All the while I just want to check out.....

The store is going to use the fewest number of employees they can get away with for the expected demand. Store managers can be reprimanded for employees getting overtime (resulting in people being sent home early, and fewer people in the store than originally scheduled), and Advance tracks each employee's individual sales and sets goals for them. "Too many" employees means lower individual sales and higher payroll...those metrics look bad for the store manager even though it would result in happier customers.

I remember when I would go into AAP, AZ, OR, etc. stores in the early 2000s and it always seemed like there were a lot of people working there. Usually most of the computers behind the actual parts counter were used exclusively for looking up parts or billing commercial customers. Once the counter person pulled your part, you took it up to the checkout, and there were one or two people who just rang customers up...no looking up parts.

Now, it's rare to see an AAP store even using the front most counter that used to serve as the checkout only register. There are two or three people at the most simultaneously looking up parts and ringing up customers at the same terminals. With individual metrics being tracked, the old system of looking up parts at the counter then taking them up to the checkout for someone else to ring up no longer works.

In addition to the employees being expected to multitask more and more, looking up parts has become more complicated than it was 20-30-40 years ago. Cars are more complex with more parts, and the counter people these days are mostly not experts and neither are the customers, so there tends to be a lot of confusion. There's a lot of "I need, I think it a solenoid switch or a module thing, I don't know what the man said, it for my Chevy Arcadia, I think it a 09 or a 12." At that point the counter person is totally dumbfounded and the next person in line is going to be there a long time.

Auto Parts used to be a "Do It For Me" service and the discount stores have adopted the DIY trend, this is also happening with Home Depot and Lowes home improvement centers. Its also a Fast Food approach to serving the customer with an aggressive marketing plan. (Check out the Careers section of their website for more info)

I go to Napa and get better prices and the service is much better LOL

It may depend upon when you stop by.
I've never found any delay at AAP, AZ or O'R's.
I sometimes wonder why they even bother to stay open, although their commercial accounts are probably the bulk of their business.
I do know that when I need a part quickly, these bricks and mortar locations are invaluable.

Too bad that happens. I buy a fair amount of things I know I'll use online-so none of that. For the other I go to my Carquest with pretty sharp guys that will spot a customer like me that needs no chatter and do a bit of multi-tasking still dealing with those that need more service.

Order online for in-store pickup. Between the coupon codes that are always available, and the fact that you know you looked up the right part... it becomes worth the wait.

I get all my car parts, with the exception of oil and filters at AAP. My local store only has 2 registers and normally 2 workers. If 2 people are being helped, I expect to wait. I don't expect a store such as this to have 2 full time cashiers and 2 full time guys on the floor. Their employees are cross trained and are expected to multi task. This keeps AAP's cost down. *Has anyone ever heard of ALDI grocery store? They practice this same philosophy. This along with non name brand items is how prices are so cheap.

Depending on the time of day, they can be pretty busy though. I have my best luck early mornings. As said, their codes, coupons etc. make it worth the wait. With everyday low prices at WM, its hard to beat them if you just need 1 oil filter though. The self checkout does wonders in these situations. Its sounds like you truly value your time.. I encourage you to give this method a try.

If the store really bothers you, shop elsewhere. Like me.. I despise my local AZ. (I had great luck with the AZ the next town over so I will eat crow and will no longer bash the company.) Anyways, I don't shop there unless they are having oil specials. All the stupid is worth the wait then.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Seems like EVERY store has 1/8th or less of their registers open.

True. Target is notorious for doing that.

I was there on Dec. 26 and they had three registers open - and the other dozen or so were closed. The lines at those three registers were about ten people deep!

Originally Posted By: Jakob_1992
Order online for in-store pickup.

I do that too with Advance. It earns me airline points at the rate of four points per dollar! Plus it keeps interaction with the counter guy to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back