Aftermarket Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
The radiator in my Sienna is starting to leak. Need to replace it by Monday, can't wait for RockAuto to ship.

Locally I can get a Spectra Premium Radiator ($137+tax) or CARQUEST/ToughOne Radiator ($116+tax)

Actually, I can probably get that Spectra from Napa with my AAA discount for about $124+tax.

What would you pick?

Most Spectras look like the OEM made them. I've used a couple in Camrys which I got from Amazon. NO problems with one for about 100K now.

I would go with the Spectra Premium. It's probably made in Canada. Spectra seems to have decent quality for aftermarket. I have had one in my truck for over a year and a half now with no issues.

ToughOne is AAP's house brand of cooling system (and other) components. Their radiators usually come from ReadyRad and the majority are made in China. Quality is a little more iffy than Spectra.

In either case, look the radiator over before leaving the store to make sure there aren't obvious differences or damage. Radiators get damaged a lot in transit.

I would use the Advance online discount codes and buy the CARQUEST/ToughOne Radiator. It will likely have a lifetime warranty.

I've used Spectra (also, Spi Heat Transfer, a division of Spectra) and Koyo aftermarket radiators. All were great replacements. The old Spi (Spectra) from 2000 with metal tanks leaked after three years, but the replacement (free under lifetime warranty) with plastic tanks was still going strong nine years later when I traded the car in. Both brands were around $100. Another Spectra went into an Infiniti I30 - still good five years later. The Koyo went into a Honda Odyssey and was still good eight years later when the car was traded in. The fit was perfect for each with no modifications required.

No need to agonize over this decision.

An update...

I was being lazy on Saturday and decided to pick up the The CarQuest/ToughONE from AAP, since it's less than 5 minutes away and cheaper than the Spectra. However, the fans would not line up on the radiator. And, it didn't seem to match the old radiator in design either.

Had to return it, and get the Spectra like you all suggested (which fit perfectly).

Lesson learned: Listen to BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back