ODO fraud. What would you do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: djb
It's actually quite a challenge to modify the odometer reader on many modern cars.

On A GM car is very easy

It is a data point for most people. I wouldn't buy a car with 300k. I would be leery of buying a car with 120k unless I knew the history of the car. Most people do not want to buy a car and then do major work. I am equally scared of a ten year old car with 6k. I guess for me, age is more crucial than miles, but miles are important.

In my mind, if a transmission has been replaced or major engine or suspension work has been done before I get the vehicle, I will always be suspicious of that work. Much like I would prefer OE paint, I prefer OE everything.

Personally, I prefer to maintain my cars myself, purchasing new or with low miles and then sell around ~200k +/-50K before major repairs are required. If a car looks like it will need more than routine maintenance, I'll let the next guy deal with it. I will also tell the next guy exactly what major expense is about to be required.

I don't want to ever get to the 'nickel and dime' period. I certainly don't want to buy in the middle of it.

So ultimately, I do rely on odometer readings and expect them to be accurate, I will do whatever verification I can. If I know something is inaccurate, I will mention it to be the seller and walk away.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If I had a car with rolled back odo, I could get sued as being part of its chain of custody years later, when least expecting it, even if I didn't know.

You're way too paranoid.

Unless you're conducting a huge scam and selling thousands of unsafe vehicles to the public, it probably won't even be discovered.

If Bob's Used Cars sells a 1990 Pontiac with 80k knocked off the odometer, no one even cares.

No one cares about an old junk car.

Buy enough old Mercedes with mechanical odometers and you will never trust one again.

Wear on the vehicle and service records are how you confirm mileage.

With very old vehicles just assume 10k-15k a year and multiply it out, you will probably be pretty close.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
It is a data point for most people. I wouldn't buy a car with 300k. I would be leery of buying a car with 120k unless I knew the history of the car. Most people do not want to buy a car and then do major work. I am equally scared of a ten year old car with 6k. I guess for me, age is more crucial than miles, but miles are important.

In my mind, if a transmission has been replaced or major engine or suspension work has been done before I get the vehicle, I will always be suspicious of that work. Much like I would prefer OE paint, I prefer OE everything.

Personally, I prefer to maintain my cars myself, purchasing new or with low miles and then sell around ~200k +/-50K before major repairs are required. If a car looks like it will need more than routine maintenance, I'll let the next guy deal with it. I will also tell the next guy exactly what major expense is about to be required.

I don't want to ever get to the 'nickel and dime' period. I certainly don't want to buy in the middle of it.

Excellent post, we are in almost complete agreement.

Here we often sell vehicles well before they are worthless or in bad shape. Some buyers are actually suspicious of our vehicles because we maintain them extremely well and they tend to be very straight and clean, with absolutely everything functioning well, yet fairly high miles.

As stated above, miles are just one of many indicators. I'll take a high mileage one if I want to and can verify its history...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back