Has anyone installed an Oil Accumulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many brands of Oil Accumulators, Preluber (s), Preoiler (s) exist

One brand is accusump. The idea is to release just before engine start a small quantity of oil and thus prelube the important bits

Does anyone have a recommended type to install, issues learned, things to avoid, general know how, tips and tricks ?

I have one on a street toy. They also sold me a small solenoid valve to allow me to pre-pressurize my car's oil system before starting up.

The big thing these do is prevent oil starvation at the track, if you just want a pre-oiler there are many options...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I have one on a street toy. They also sold me a small solenoid valve to allow me to pre-pressurize my car's oil system before starting up.

Which one? Where did you buy? Easy install? Video or pictures?

Originally Posted By: henni
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Which one? Where did you buy? Easy install? Video or pictures?

Here's a cheap one!

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&Ntk=all&Jnar=0&itemPerPage=60&Ne=1%2B2%2B3%2B13%2B1147708&searchTerm=accumulator

There are cheap valves for replacing the manual valve it comes with. Extremely easy install, but i did have to have some hoses fabbed for a nice fit...

Hoping someone would share issues, decisions, lessons learned 12 months later, problems uncovered, things or parts replaced 24 months later etc etc etc

Originally Posted By: henni
Hoping someone would share issues, decisions, lessons learned 12 months later, problems uncovered, things or parts replaced 24 months later etc etc etc

What's to share?

I used oil pre-lubers for years on my expensive engines to try and preserve them from start up wear. Electric models were unreliable, this kind is extremely simple and has ONE wire!

It's a tank with a hose you plumb in, dirt simple, easy to install and works excellent at pre-oiling and preventing pressure loss from hard cornering if your car was not originally provided with a track worthy pan and oiling setup.

The engines I am protecting (2-I forgot the boat has one) are very expensive strokers built my my BIL who is a 3rd gen machinist and very well known in the Hi Po crowd in Central Florida. A 400+ cubic inch small block Chevy based roller in a Jensen Healey Replica and a blown 572 all aluminum crate motor in a go-fast boat.One cost over 20k!!

Well worth the trouble....

I installed one on my uncle's Mercedes. His is a pressure pre-luber. Pretty simple, plumb into the oiling system, wire up the timer box to the solenoid controlled check valve, and run one wire to your ignition. His has a gauge between the tank and the valve so you can check your stored pressure. His oil pressure light goes out before cranking, and it is not plumbed in right at the pressure sensor. You could eliminate the check valve and it would serve as an accumulator. I don't recall what brand it was.

Last edited:
Just to use the JEGS link shared previously, how would I know which kit to purchase, be it Accusump or Moroso brand ?

The capacity alone does not tell me anything but assuming space is limited, what criteria is used to decide needed components ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back