Mazda engineering quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the Mazda 6 or CX5 is in the running as a strong contender as my next car, I would like to know if I may have to deal with enginneering quirks. I would get the 2.5 liter Skyactiv engine. I believe this is a non-interference engine. For example, I would like to know where the fuel filter is located. Online sources vary on the issue, with some claiming the filter is below the filler neck, while other say the filter is part of the fuel pump. Do Mazdas require any special tools for common maintenance jobs? Can the service indicator be reset without a special tool? Can the brake system be serviced without having to cycle the ABS pump with an electronic gadget? Any kind of information pertaining to positives and negatives is apppreciated!

hotwheels

On my wife's 08 3i 2.0 the cabin filter is just simply ridiculous to change. Now the drivers side door lock broke the drivers door is stuck shut.

Our daughter's '06 Mazda 3i 2 in my signature(same/similar to 3311's wife's '08) is the first Mazda in my family. No special tools yet! I do lots of maintenance on this car as she uses it for her job(journalist) and she needs good reliable transportation EVERYDAY(118,000 miles).

I can't answer for the new '14-'15 Mazda's but, I would assume they're similar. And according to CR Mag and our own personal experience, these cars are very reliable though, far from perfect. All vehicles have their specific quirks and I haven't owned a vehicle that didn't.

The SkyActive engine uses a chain driven DOHC system with hydraulic valve lifters so no valve adjustments needed. Spark plugs appear easy to get to. Fuel filter appears to be in the fuel tank and not service interval mentioned in the maintenance guide.

I promise you the skyactiv engine is intereference. Basically every modern engine is. The skyactive engine is a 13:1 compression engine. you can't accomplish that without having an interference design. But it also uses a chain instead of a belt so you don't have to worry.

Yep, like Nick said, most, if not all DOHC, timing chain equipped engines are crashers if the chain pops. How is CAF replacement in newer Mazdas?

OT, but the most ridiculous one I've changed lately was on my in-law's ~2012 Nissan Rogue. It's tucked up above and to the right of the accelerator pedal. You basically have to collapse the filter to get it in, and hope it expands in it's spot in the duct.

Mazda's rust much faster than they should. Perhaps with your area the issue is no biggie, in the salt belt they are quick study of entropy.

I owned 2 brand new Mazdas back in the 80's...a 1982 GLC and a 1989 626. Both were very good cars but both had weak AC's that took a long time to cool down the car. My b-i-l had a new 1988 Jetta that would cause icicles to form very quickly which made the Mazda's weak unit more noticeable.

I don't know if Mazda improved their AC's but I do like their current offerings.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Mazda's rust much faster than they should. Perhaps with your area the issue is no biggie, in the salt belt they are quick study of entropy.

I've noticed the rust problem in WI too and have crossed Mazda off my list because of that.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I owned 2 brand new Mazdas back in the 80's...a 1982 GLC and a 1989 626. Both were very good cars but both had weak AC's that took a long time to cool down the car. My b-i-l had a new 1988 Jetta that would cause icicles to form very quickly which made the Mazda's weak unit more noticeable.

I don't know if Mazda improved their AC's but I do like their current offerings.

My 89 323 had meh AC, it crept warmer at long traffic lights. It was a port installed accessory for some tax reason.

No rust or HVAC problems on my 148k mile 2007 MS3; it looked particularly clean underneath- I inspected it closely this past summer while I was installing a James Barone Racing rear anti-roll bar.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels

For example, I would like to know where the fuel filter is located.
It's not a serviceable item, so nobody really knows where it's at.

Do Mazdas require any special tools for common maintenance jobs?
You'll only need engine oil changes FOR A LONG TIME.

Can the service indicator be reset without a special tool?
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 w/ 2.0L i Touring with Tech Package and resetting the maintenance (and even setting your own intervals based on time, mileage, fixed or flexible schedule) is very simply with the touch screen.

Can the brake system be serviced without having to cycle the ABS pump with an electronic gadget?
Just bleed all the lines, drive the car around for a few days and bleed them again to really get the system completely flushed. That's what I do.

Any kind of information pertaining to positives and negatives is apppreciated!
The only real negative I've come across thus far is that the 2.0L engine idles ridiculously low at certain times (suppose to be 650-750 but will frequently idle at 550rpm) causing increased cabin vibrations. Other then that, I and the wife LOVE our 2014 Mazda 3. Love the new look of both the interior and exterior.

Thanks for all the illuminating replies! If there's anything else I should know, please don't be shy.

hotwheels

If you do a lot of high speed driving, and you need decent fuel economy, get the 6 instead of the CX-5. The fuel mileage drops fairly rapidly north of 70 mph. Flying brick, and all that nonsense.

I still love my CX-5, however, so if you need the cargo capacity that the 6 doesn't offer, don't be afraid to pick up a CX-5.

BC.

Originally Posted By: 3311
On my wife's 08 3i 2.0 the cabin filter is just simply ridiculous to change.

I have heard that. The one on the current generation and previous (mine's a 2012) is pretty easy. It would be nicer if it were just on panel, instead of two, but access is very easy now - look on YouTube.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Thanks for all the illuminating replies! If there's anything else I should know, please don't be shy.

hotwheels

If you do a lot of high speed driving, and you need decent fuel economy, get the 6 instead of the CX-5. The fuel mileage drops fairly rapidly north of 70 mph. Flying brick, and all that nonsense.

I still love my CX-5, however, so if you need the cargo capacity that the 6 doesn't offer, don't be afraid to pick up a CX-5.

BC.

I understand why the CX-5 gets worse fuel milage than the 6. However, I am tempted because the higher seating position of the CX-5 eases ingress and egress while offering a better view from a higher vantage point.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back