Weight Lifting and supplements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people who are into weight lifting or bodybuilding what supplements do you use?

For me:
Creatine(Kre-Alkyalyn EFX)
Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein.
Triple Strength Fish Oil

I like Kre Alkalyn Creatine because it doesn't bloat me or reduce my cardio output. Creatine in general helps me with my MS as well.

Does anyone here take Nitric Oxide capsules? Does it help?

Personally, I'd stay away from any product containing taurine. This amino acid is sourced from, well, let's just say Red Bull is called Red Bull for a very good reason. Yech!

I would suggest to get most nutrition through food rather than through supplements, unless you have a deficiency, of course. If you are a body builder or weight lifter you will be eating a lot more than a regular person anyway, and incorporating the necessary nutritional components should not be too difficult.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Personally, I'd stay away from any product containing taurine. This amino acid is sourced from, well, let's just say Red Bull is called Red Bull for a very good reason. Yech!

I would suggest to get most nutrition through food rather than through supplements, unless you have a deficiency, of course. If you are a body builder or weight lifter you will be eating a lot more than a regular person anyway, and incorporating the necessary nutritional components should not be too difficult.

hotwheels

All great points hotwheels. I stay away from anything like Red Bull or 5 hour energy drink.

Originally Posted By: deven
I like Kre Alkalyn Creatine because it doesn't bloat me or reduce my cardio output. Creatine in general helps me with my MS as well.

what is MS?

as far as absorption goes, Creatine Monohydrate in pure form will always be more effective, granted you have a high enough blood sugar at that point as with any supplement, the higher insulin activity at that given moment, the higher the absorption.

Dextrose has one of the highest glycemic index.

My experience: went from 140 lbs to 205 lbs, with creatine monohydrate, whey protein, fish oil, food, and using physics in weight training.

Most individuals if not all...are too retarded to realize that doing biceps curls beyond the 90 degree pivot point is actually hindering any gains as that relaxes the muscles and releases the tension. During weight training you need to keep tension on your muscles during the whole rep and and the set. No supplement will help without proper weight training.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: hotwheels

hotwheels

All great points hotwheels. I stay away from anything like Red Bull or 5 hour energy drink.

I wasn't talking about energy drinks per se. I know plenty guys at the gym who take supplements that contain taurine. As for why I mentioned Red Bull, I guess you don't know how taurine is produced, and I was hinting at that it's pretty gross.

hotwheels

For myself:

- 5g of creatine monohydrate per day; taken after working out or before bed.
- Krill oil, two 500mg tablets daily; one before bedtime and one with breakfast.
- 10g of BCAA powder, taken only before working out.
- Multivitamins, 1 tablet per day taken before bed.

I don't use whey powder. My wife cooks me awesome meals with either salmon or chicken cutlets and usually a side of mash potatoes and mixed vegetables. My protein shakes consist of three raw eggs in a glass topped off with 1% milk.

BCAA (branched chain amino acid) is a new addition to my supplement regiment. Apparently it can help prevent catabolic muscle breakdown during long workout sessions. It's well agreed upon that workout sessions should be a maximum of 1 hour for this reason. I only get two days per week to work every muscle group; this makes my workout sessions pretty long (2 to 2.5 hours).

I use whey protein and testosterone boosters. That along with my intense workouts (I run 6 miles a night and lift 3 nights a week till muscle failure). I shed every ounce of body fat and got ultra-cut in no time at all. I went from 200 lbs/36 inch waist to 175 lbs and 32 inch waist really fast. My average bench press is 235 (haven't tried to max out).

I also eat at least one egg a day and drink a ton of milk. I never eat non-natural/synthetic foods and never eat low fat/low calorie stuff either.

Be caeful with the Fish Oil. I was taking 1800 mg of Omega-3. It raised my LDL by 25 points. This is not just me. Its a known fact.

I have dropped down to 720 mg. I also started statins as I am 68 years old. The increase corresponds to the time period I bumped up from 720 to 1800. I workout 6 times/week.

Creatine, expands the fibers so much they tear, people have had massive tears so bad their muscles rip off the tendon while on Creatine.
This has not been studied as far as I have read.
A few people I know that used to take it would get alot of muscle injuries.
Mileage will vary, everyone's different but I would never do it.
Food is best, Isolate spikes ur blood sugar higher than sugar does, read a study on that.

Supplements? When starting out?
31.gif

Been a gym rat since I was 17. 51 now. It has been worth it, you guns stay with it and it will mean when you're middle age you will still feel great and look better.

Only supplementation I do anymore is protein bar with (not instead) breakfast and lunch and a major brand "men over 50" multi-vitamin multi-mineral tablet about every other day, as daily proved to be too much for me.

Among bars there are fewer and fewer labelers than haven't sold out and jumped on the cheapo soy protein band wagon. As you know, soy protein and most soy products (lecithin is in almost everything) upset the endocrine balance. I've cut as much soy out of my diet as practical, and the only easily available bar I can find that still relies on whey and contains no soy protein (but does have lecithin) is Pure Protein by Worldwide Sport Nutrition Supplements. To the OP, WSNS also is a registered supporter of the National MS Society. A big thing with protein supplements is label claims on the package. Bill Phillips back in the day when he ran EAS (I think?) did a book called the sports supplement review or something and in it they had a lot of products tested for actual protein content vs what the label claimed and a lot of products did not stack up. So that's always a concern, if you're getting what you're paying for protein wise. Pure Protein bars claim 20g per bar, no idea if its true.

I used to use creatine back in the day, were supposed to cycle 12 weeks on and 12 off to keep your creatine receptors frosty or something. Is that still done?

If you're upper 40's or over 50 DHEA might be a consideration if you're low on it, which can happen when you get older. Building block for testosterone. But the only effective way to get it is cream form and transdermal absorption. The gastro tract and liver can disrupt the effectiveness if taken orally due to how its metabolized or something. I was up on it a while back but forgot most of it. However, you should first get tested to see if you are even low on it because while it declines with the onset of middle age it may not drop below the threshold where it would be beneficial to supplement it and you don't want too much.

I've seen some Rich Piana (former Mr California) videos on YouTube about supplements and nutrition, what he has tried and results from different products.

Be aware statins go after the muscle and that can lead to back problems which then is difficult to find the cause. I was taking 1800 mg of Omega-3. It raised my LDL by 25 points. This is not just me. Its a known fact.

I have dropped down to 720 mg. I also started statins as I am 68 years old. The increase corresponds to the time period I bumped up from 720 to 1800. I workout 6 times/week. [/quote]

I agree with everything stated however a huge overlooked factors not mentioned here is plenty of sound sleep for rebuilding & lay off of the alcohol.

Back in my college days I used to participate in weight lifting studies looking at the effect of different supplements. The effects were minimal at best, especially when considering how much they cost.

I used to go supplement crazy and felt I needed it. The fact of the matter is, I do not compete. I merely watch my diet and have multivitamins I only take when my diet wasn't balanced. I have protein powder only when I don't eat protein after a workout. I do not take vasodialators such as NO2 prior to workouts. By having a good cardio regimen; this in and of itself improves circulation to muscles, I don't feel the need to spend tons of money in supplements. Today, I am in my mid 40's, have a disciplined, structured diet and exercise plan and lift waaaay more than I ever had in my life. I can run a sub 6:30 mile and bench well over 300 pounds all without depending on supplements. My cholesterol is down as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back