Oil Question for European Jeep JK 3.8 Petrol Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil is specified for the 3.8 petrol engine in Europe? What standard does it say it must meet?

Just curious if it specifies 0w-40, and if it meets a Chrysler European spec.

Thank!

Hi,
IndyFan - For comparison, in OZ Mobil say "Refer to Dealer" and Castrol recommend Magnatec 5W-30 SN/GF5

If it's out of Warranty you could use SN 0W-40, but it's typically best to stay with the lowest viscosity the Manufacturer recommends

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
IndyFan - For comparison, in OZ Mobil say "Refer to Dealer" and Castrol recommend Magnatec 5W-30 SN/GF5

If it's out of Warranty you could use SN 0W-40, but it's typically best to stay with the lowest viscosity the Manufacturer recommends

Thanks. I've got a lifetime powertrain warranty, so I'm still there. However, with the oil consumption issues the 3.8 is notorious for, many dealers have Jeep JK owners going to heavier oils to slow it down. Mine seems to do a little better with heavier oils, but not a huge amount. I'm currently running M1 0w40 and it has reduced consumption, although marginally.

I was just curious because Fiat's relationship with SOPUS has them shutting Mobil 1 out, at least in the US. M1 met Chrysler spec when I bought it, but since Fiat's takeover, it no longer does. However, that's my oil of choice, and it is API certified, so I'm still running it and will continue to do so.

I've had bottles of 0w40 M1 that say they meet a Chrysler spec, which I assumed was a European spec, but I'm not sure for which engines. That was another reason I was curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Thanks. I've got a lifetime powertrain warranty, so I'm still there. However, with the oil consumption issues the 3.8 is notorious for, many dealers have Jeep JK owners going to heavier oils to slow it down. Mine seems to do a little better with heavier oils, but not a huge amount. I'm currently running M1 0w40 and it has reduced consumption, although marginally.

I was just curious because Fiat's relationship with SOPUS has them shutting Mobil 1 out, at least in the US. M1 met Chrysler spec when I bought it, but since Fiat's takeover, it no longer does. However, that's my oil of choice, and it is API certified, so I'm still running it and will continue to do so.

I've had bottles of 0w40 M1 that say they meet a Chrysler spec, which I assumed was a European spec, but I'm not sure for which engines. That was another reason I was curious.

I doubt very much that mobil's product doesn't meet the spec,however it may not be "certified".
I'm not a fan of M1 but they make a quality product at what I consider a bargain basement price,in America.
So if you like M1 use it. There's no doubt in my mind it would pass any testing required even if it isn't actually certified.

Yeah, I kind of wish I'd run it from the beginning. I've got it in the Mercedes and the Jeep now. I'll likely keep it in the Jeep going forward. It may be my imagination, but I'd swear it runs smoother with it. (Not that it didn't run quite smoothly before.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back