When did Mobil 1 Stop Meeting Chrysler Spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the Mobil and Chrysler relationship went sour. That was when Chrysler went bankrupt and was purchased by FIAT, who had a pre-existing relationship with SOPUS, which led to a very abrupt termination of the Mobil/Chrysler relationship.

What? Mobil 1 don't meet Chrysler spec? That does it, I'm done buyin' Mobil 1.
grin2.gif

I've run mostly Mobil 1 from the get go with my Jeep, and I'm sticking with it, but everyone squawks that this will void my warranty if I have an issue. Jeep 3.8's have had significant issues with oil usage, and mine is flirting with it. Currently, it runs fine and uses between 1/3 and 1 quart per 1k miles, so I wouldn't be surprised to have to get it fixed at some point.

Btw, my dealer was fully aware of my M1 usage when my Jeep passed the 5 year inspection for the lifetime powertrain warranty.

Since taxpayers financed the sale and absorbed all the debt for the Chrysler giveaway to FIAT, Chrysler vehicle owners, including Dodge and Jeep should get free service including oil changes forever. Usually when someone gets screwed this badly they at least get a bouquet of roses and a box of candy.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I've run mostly Mobil 1 from the get go with my Jeep, and I'm sticking with it, but everyone squawks that this will void my warranty if I have an issue. Jeep 3.8's have had significant issues with oil usage, and mine is flirting with it. Currently, it runs fine and uses between 1/3 and 1 quart per 1k miles, so I wouldn't be surprised to have to get it fixed at some point.

Btw, my dealer was fully aware of my M1 usage when my Jeep passed the 5 year inspection for the lifetime powertrain warranty.

I have had engines in vehicles from 2.8L to 15L over the years and had occasion warranty repairs with some of them. I have never even been asked what oil I was running, nor even how long I was running it. And some of those engines alone cost more to replace than most folk's total vehicle. Unless one opens their fat mouth, it rarely ever comes up. Just like dealing with police, never volunteer any information. It is a fool's move. If they ask, just state the viscosity that the engine requires and not the brand you are using. If they want to know the brand, tell them one they accept. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that anyone is going to send in a oil sample, and even then, they probably can't determine enough to make any real claim that it didn't meet the required spec.

Just do what you are doing and chill.

TiredTrucker, you're a smart man.

IndyFan I hear ya. Even though the 3.8 has oil issues, have you tried a different brand to see if it helps consumption? M1 is good stuff, but has a history of more usage in some vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
grin2.gif

Sounds like the split had nothing to do with Mobil 1.. yay!

I don't understand what is so different with all these manufacturer specs? My Subaru only asks for the API GF-4 / SM (5w30 - 10w50) or better and my Nissan asks for GF-5 / SN 5w30. What is do different that chevy needs Dexos 1, ford has a special number as does chryslet. I don't get why the special numers and spec, why not just the simple API GF-X and so on? I really don't think there is a difference just licensing being paid to the OEM. Seems like a scam. I do think the dexos thing may be a way of saying to use a syn blend or syn oil without getting people up in arms. My pathfinder does recommend Nissan Ester oil in the manual. I guess that is a way to suggest a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
When the Mobil and Chrysler relationship went sour. That was when Chrysler went bankrupt and was purchased by FIAT, who had a pre-existing relationship with SOPUS, which led to a very abrupt termination of the Mobil/Chrysler relationship.

Yup. Mobil is pouting because Chrysler swapped to SOPUS.

Originally Posted By: stygz
I don't understand what is so different with all these manufacturer specs? My Subaru only asks for the API GF-4 / SM (5w30 - 10w50) or better and my Nissan asks for GF-5 / SN 5w30. What is do different that chevy needs Dexos 1, ford has a special number as does chryslet. I don't get why the special numers and spec, why not just the simple API GF-X and so on? I really don't think there is a difference just licensing being paid to the OEM. Seems like a scam. I do think the dexos thing may be a way of saying to use a syn blend or syn oil without getting people up in arms. My pathfinder does recommend Nissan Ester oil in the manual. I guess that is a way to suggest a synthetic.

It's for a number of reasons. More and more manufacturers are starting to embrace longer OCI's, and in doing so, want to make sure that the specified oil will withstand all use or abuse the vehicle may see within the warranty period without any possibility of an oil related failure.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Yup. Mobil is pouting because Chrysler swapped to SOPUS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
grin2.gif

What? Mobil 1 don't meet Chrysler spec? That does it, I'm done buyin' Chrysler
shocked2.gif

Chrysler would never, ever deny any warranty claim from someone using Mobil 1 exclusively. You can take that to the bank. Recommended and required have different meanings.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: stygz

It's for a number of reasons. More and more manufacturers are starting to embrace longer OCI's, and in doing so, want to make sure that the specified oil will withstand all use or abuse the vehicle may see within the warranty period without any possibility of an oil related failure.

What you are saying is that a Chrysler XXXXX spec is the not same as saying API GF-5 / SN meets the requirement. So if the latest M1 does not list the Chrysler spec it is not good enough. Seems like double talk from the OEM's.

I really have doubt in the OEM's licencing. It would seem that the API spec is all that is needed. The OEM should just specify syn blend syn for the long OCI vehicles.

Last edited:
When the Mobil and Chrysler relationship went sour..

Yup. Ironic M1 was 'good enough' during the ill-fated DaimlerChrysler marriage.

Strange bedfellows.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
TiredTrucker, you're a smart man.

IndyFan I hear ya. Even though the 3.8 has oil issues, have you tried a different brand to see if it helps consumption? M1 is good stuff, but has a history of more usage in some vehicles.

Yes, different brands and weights. The best have been M1 EP 5w30, 10w30, and M1 0w40. I've run Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Syntec, and Pennzoil Ultra. Same results. The biggest difference has been in replacing the PCV valve, but the most recent PCV change made no difference. I ran conventional Pennzoil for about 1k miles and it used over a quart. That's the only conventional it has seen outside of the factory fill. Up to 40k, I used Mobil 1 5w20 for most of that first 40k, with no useage at all.

Mostly I've run 6000 mile OCI's, which is the longest permitted int he owner's manual and with the OLM.

I've been sorely tempted to try M1 15w50, but can't quite bring myself to do it.

I think it is either going to run past 200k and drink a lot of oil, or it will get to a point where it needs some major work. I'm doing everything I can to avoid that, though. Chrysler should thank me.

This is a VERY common issue to the 3.8, in the minivans, too. Chrysler has rebuilt MANY of these under warranty, especially in 2007 and 2008 Jeeps.

Last edited:
...one additional note: I ran the first 40k on M1 5w20, with no usage. I was still running it when the usage started and it went up to 1qt per 1k miles on that very oil.

I also think driving style has at least some effect. When taking long trips, where the engine is humming right along at 2500 rpms or thereabouts, it doesn't use quite as much oil. Around town, with a bit of running at or below 2000rpms, it seems to use more. This obviously isn't scientific, but I've monitored it pretty closely, so I think it is pretty accurate.

I've heard all kinds of theories as to why these 3.8's burn oil. Everything from improperly installed rings to not getting casting silicone properly cleaned out during production. I'm not sure anyone but Chrysler knows the most common reason. I'd love it if they'd speak up, though.

It really is annoying because I actually like this engine. It isn't a powerhouse, but it gets the job done, blue collar style. It is smooth, quiet, and adequate with the 6 speed manual and 4.10 final drive turning 33" mud tires. If it goes the distance, I guess I'll be ok with feeding it oil, but it will always bug the [censored] out of me. If it makes it to 300k, I'll probably conclude that it did it because it had a constant supply of fresh, clean oil! (6 qts added per 6k mile OCI, so that constitutes an oil change, right?) Maybe I should only change filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
...and why?

Just curious. I know it used to, but now it doesn't, at least on their common 5w/10w products.

Just political. My car has M1 0W-40 right on the cap.

So at least it WAS good enough for their premiere engine in 2005!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back